Sign in to follow this  
Majmx

Electric Radiator Fan Problems

When the temperature gauge indicator is between the ¼ and the ½ marks the radiator fan does not turn on. <O:p</O:p

Have disconnected the electrical leads coming off the fan motor and direct wired the motor to the battery and the fan runs without a problem.<O:p></O:p>

With the temperature gauge reading at the ½ mark plug the fan motor back into the factory installed electrical connection. Then disconnected the electrical connection from the coolant temperature sensor located in the thermostat housing. The fan did not come on.

Reconnected the coolant temperature sensor and next replaced the fan control relay located on the left strut tower with new Chrysler relay. This remove and replace action did not cause the radiator fan to turn even though the temperature gauge was still reading between the ½ and ¼ mark.

Any suggestions on what the next trouble shooting step should be would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Bob

Hey Bob,

You don't say what year or engine you have, but the service manual for my '89 8 valve says that the fan will come on at 5/8 gauge travel and cycle off at 1/2 gauge travel. maybe nothing is wrong at all.

Tom

My V6 operates the same way. Normally the guage reads low and the fan does not come on until I stop in warm weather or under heavy load, when it eases up to 1/2. Everything seems to be working fine. I just chalked it up to a not too accurate guage. Although I did replace the temp sensor. Never had a problem otherwise.

Bob----one of your old posts indicates that you have an '89 T2 Auto. The cooling fan on my similar '89 does not turn on until approximately the 2/3 mark on the gauge and takes it down to the 1/4 mark under ideal conditions. Hope you're having a splendid time with your car.

You did not say if the fan runs with the ac on. If yes it is probably ok. If no you do have a problem.