Windshield

Guest Telco

Guest Telco

Need a windshield for my 89 Reatta coupe. I'm trying for new before used. Does anyone know if the 89 - 91 Riviera windshield will work? The glass shop says they have Riviera glass on hand but the Reatta glass is no longer made, and they don't show that one cross references to the other.

My glass just split 3 directions from a chip, so it's kind of important I find one, otherwise when I get my housing situation straightened out the car will be going to salvage. Unless someone would want to offer to buy it now? :P The car is in decent shape aside from the broken glass and a little rust. I can drive it as it is for a couple of years, so I'd be needing about 3 grand for the car to sell now. Otherwise, 2-3 years then it's off to the yard.

Guest Telco

Tulsa OK, which is why I'm wanting a new one if available, or if there is another make that will work. Otherwise, to get one of your windshields it would be an 850 mile trip one way.

Just in case though, how much?

I would look on your local craigslist or ask around on the forum for maybe a whole car. a good one could be had for about $400 or $500. try to get one with your color interior though. Body panels can be repainted, stuff inside can't. They're handy for things like headlight motors, glove-box/rear compartment latches, and perhaps seats. And you'll probably find one with a good windshield.

I forgot to address the Riviera question. The windshields in Reattas only fit Reattas and the Rivs are different.

I am currently looking for and excuse to drive through Indiana and maybe further south. I could deliver a windshield that direction in mid May and/or I would be interested in buying a Reatta parts car somewhere that direction.

jfinn@cpinternet.com

Edited by Jim (see edit history)

Jim,

Check craigslist in Appleton. There is an '89 that has "issues" They want $1195.00 for it, but it has been for sale for at least 3 months.

I never looked at it as I did not want it to follow me home...

Guest Richard D

I had mine replaced (1990 coupe) back on 8/4/09 with a new one made by Pilkington and installed by Safelite, they are nationwide. The only problem was the total cost was $1,775.61 Thank God for State Farm. It comes with a lifetime warranty and depending on your condition they may be able to restore it, look up the nearest office to you. There is not an 800 number on my receipt, just a local number.

Richard

Guest Telco

The cost isn't an issue if I can find a new one, insurance covers it. I need to talk to them about whether they will cover a used piece, if not then it will be a little harder to do. Thanks on the Pilkington note Richard, that put me on to several places to try.

Guest the chad

I had mine replaced through my insurance in which they were able to find a new one. I was amazed they found a new one because I didn't they made them anymore. I argued the point of new production as they thought otherwise. I had them fix a very small chip just above vision line and they then took it out carefully and I then took it home as a backup.

New ones are available, and Pilkington (the successor of LOF) is the only supplier. Any good auto glass outfit should be able to get one from Pilkington. I had mine replaced not too long ago, and it was covered by my insurance no questions asked. I did have to pay the deductible of course, but $500 beats the full installed cost of almost $1800.

Yes, it is an expensive piece of glass. It should have a sticker attached instructing you to turn your head and cough, because that is exactly where they've got you on this windshield. With only one supplier, and low demand, they can charge a serious premium as you have no other choice unless you want used glass. Used can be done, but has varying quality and is not usually covered by insurance.

KDirk

As an aside, if anyone gets a small chip in their windshield, call your insurance ASAP. Many will 100% cover a repair to the chip before it spreads. Just had it done to my old Regal last week. Safelite did the repair.

When I bought the black/gray it had both stone chips and a crack. Although I have zero deductable comp on my cars I did not run it through my insurance. [Pre existing Condition]

On the red/tan, the windshield was perfect when I bought it, but now has two chips. One more and I will be calling American Family for a new windshield.

Here is an old post from last year about new windshields form a member named ProSource. Might be worth giving them a call.

Ok here is the scoop. Thoughgt I would chime in. We probably sold more new Reatta windshields when we owned Lo-Can Glass than almost anyone, aside from Log/ Pilkington Classics Glass. The reason they are so expensive is the tooling costs/ low production numbers and the fact that they can charge what they decide they need for a return on investment.

To have these windshields run off in a production of 100 units and pay for the encapsulatiion is something in the vicinity of $40,000 which prevents anyone from manufacturing this besides the OEM manufacturer.

If it was worthwhile Fuyao Glass (FYG) of China would reproduce it. They are the leading aftermarket manufacturer, now OEM on several vehicles. Every major glass wholesaler carries their product. They are as good as anyone out there.

The Lincoln MK II windshields are made by AGP (Peru). They are far from the best but quite reasonable. AGP could probably make the Reatta windshields because they make encapsulated windshields for some newer vehicles but the initial tooling costs will prevent that from happening.

We know where there are some new Reatta windshields in Europe which we are trying to bring over with other glass. If we make the deal, I will post here. We should be able to sell for less than the current LOF/Pilkinton price. Richard

ProSource Glass International

PO Box 996

Andover, MA 01810

Tel:877-345-2800

978-975-5400

Fax:978-975-5300

email:richardt@prosourceglassintl.com

Guest Telco

Update - I was able to locate a piece of glass with Pilkington (Thanks Richard) at 1-800-848-1351. The cost is 2080 plus 110 dollars shipping to a commercial location or 150 to ship to your house. The insurance company is covering the whole amount minus deductable, in my case 200 bucks, and they are arranging to have the glass shipped from Pilkington to a local glass shop that will honor the insurance company's warranty. The new glass should be in sometime in the next 2-3 weeks.

Ronnie - here is the specific link I used.

http://www.pilkington.com/the+americas/usa/english/automotive/agr/pilkington+classics/default1.htm

Edited by Telco
Changed part arrival time (see edit history)

Guest Richard D

In Florida there is no dedtuctable on windsheilds, it was installed the very next day after I took the car to my agent. No waiting for shipping.

Guest Mc_Reatta

Do you think insurance companies really pay the full freight, or like medical insurance they get discounts that reduce what they actually pay significantly?

Mc,

Nope. I was quoted $2500 just for a windshield (retail pricing) by the outfit that did mine (before I told them it was an insurance claim). I received a notice from my insurance carrier after the work was done as a verification of the service provided, and it showed a total installed price of $1780. So, the insurance company gets a pretty nice break. This stinks for anyone who is not carrying comprehensive insurance, but it seems to be the way of the world that those who would pay cash subsidize everyone else.

KDirk

Guest Telco

Well, think about it. We might buy 10 windshields in a lifetime. The insurance companies probably buy 10 windshields a minute. Bulk purchases and reliable custom are worth deep discounts.

I just noticed this ad on ROJ that might be of interest. It was posted in the classified ad section on 3/31/2010.

Windshield new condition for sale

Description: Windshield for a buick reatta from a 1990 but fits other years

Price: $ 450.00

Name: michael McFarland

Phone: 215-651-0159

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Telco

OK, brand spankin' new Pilkington windshield has been installed. I've not driven the car beyond backing it in the garage yet. So far it looks nice and clear and perfect. No more pitting, no more cracks. I'm a happier camper now. Cost was 200 bucks for the insurance deductable. The real pisser about the cost is I also put a new windshield in the wife's truck about 6 months ago, cost was 150 bucks with no insurance involvement.

Guest Richard D

I hope the day never comes when the insurance companys say the new windsheild will total the car. I asked my State Farm agent and was told that in the last quarter the value of Reatta in very good condition has gone up:D

Richard,

even if the values go down further (and they can't get much cheaper than they have been) I think you'd have a good argument that the car could not be totaled for a windshield. If it is a solid body and runs well, it'd be ridiculous to accept that the car would be junk just for the cost of the front glass.

While the insured is at the mercy of the insurer, I think going "up the line" and lodging proper complaints would get the situation rectified if they tried something like that.

KDirk