Sign in to follow this  
doefin

MINT condition parts! 246 miles on this car.

Just out of curiousity, would you put a price on a complete set of all the parts with local pick up ?

Out of curiosity, I thought it was only '91s that were donated due to shake. I notice considerable with both of mine but is not particularly annoying. Cocktail shakers might cure.

ps picture 10 shows a double button inside the driver's behind seat compartment. One says "tonneau release" and the other says "release top pull down". What '90s had that ?

Edited by padgett (see edit history)

Padgett,

I noticed the same thing on the convertible top buttons. There were all kinds of variations apparently. This is why I object to "Ralph Naders" making up information for the unofficial unverified database. I'm glad the vin was not disclosed.

Lets hope sombody gets the car and manages to get a clear title for it. The GM that donated that car long ago is gone.

I disagree. My work requires use of a lot of sources and I find the database very useful in the macro e.g. generating statistics and expectedly less so in the micro.

Obviously the car itself with the SPI sticker is a prime source. The database is a secondary source and would need corroberation if there is a dispute since virtually all data is second hand and rarely traceable to a prime source. Still, if I wanted to know the proportion of white 89 coupes with blue interiors and 16 ways, it would be a good source.

Someday, like for Pontiacs, we may have the complete billing record. This rarely has errors (though have seen some in transcription). If not we use what we have understanding that it is not completely accurate, researchers do this all of the time.

Personally, I forward to Barney all information that I find that is not already in the DB.

The hard part right now is the slipstreamed changes that were made during the model year. Things like the 88 change from the black horn button to the gold. When was the first suunroof car. The '90 switch from the manual rear vert top latch to the pull down.

Or even little stuff: on my 88 I can open the hood by leaning in the drivers window, on the 90 I cannot. The lever feels shorter. Never tried on an 89. Someday the database will tell us.

Just rereading past posts, and came across this one. Anyone know what happened with this beautiful car? Made me sick to think it had to be parted out. wow. Hope someone was able to get it and take care of the title issue

and keep her all together.

I was wondering the same thing. If the seller took the advice of myself and several others who posted to this thread, they sold the car whole but not in a public forum such as this. If sold "on the down low" it would keep GM's lawyers at bay so one would not have been hassled over the original factory proscription against selling the car.

I too hope that the car did not get parted, but we may never know since if it was sold complete the seller would like to avoid leaving themselves open to trouble from the General's legal department by revealing that here.

KDirk

The 1990 Reattas that were donated were not donated because of cowl shake. While this cars might be retitled, GM held a Michigan Salvage title on these cars and I would think that whatever GM is called today all assets would still be theirs. If they know about the car and choose to take action they could reposses it at will.

The real facts are that GM has written off the cars and wants no part of them. But the lawyers would want the car destroyed if it got out of the "system"

these cars were considered liabilities for two reasons:

1) safety issues.

2) if they were put back on the road, they would need to covered by any recall issues now and in the future.

they were also written off, and applied to GM corporate taxes as write-offs way back in 1988, 1989, 1990, and 1991, depending on what year the cars were.

any liabilities were thrown into the "bad GM" (Motors Holding Corp.) as the bankruptcy progressed, and the "new" GM is no longer responsible for them. any of these cars would fall into this category now.

we have two 1991 convertibles here that we either purchased from trade schools, or from people who purchased them from trade schools.

both cars have less than 500 miles, and are in excellent original condition. we also have clear Arizona titles for both. the state did (obviously) a thorough title search, and no salvage (or title of any kind) was found in their history.

..and before anyone asks, we are not going to part them out.

we also have the first Reatta prototype convertible here (it has a 1988 serial number), which was originally also sent to a trade school. it has never had a title of any kind, salvage or otherwise.

were these cars a liability for GM before the bankrupcy, enough to send GM lawyers into a tizzy?

yes.

now?

no tizzy, no interest. that's why we bought the two we recently purchased.

Mike Rukavina

buickreattaparts.com

Mike,

Good to hear you have managed to rescue a couple of these "disgraced children" of GM and kept them intact. Even better to hear that they are apparently free from meddling by corporate attorneys who need to justify their retainer. As long as they are road worthy, they could at least see occasional parade use or some such with dealer plates on them.

KDirk

"Adverse possession" comes to mind.

I just ran accross this thread, does'nt look like anyone ever showed-up to examine your parts?car.

I'd be glad to make the trip down from lower Cheezeland, as I'd like to meet up with my BCA sponsor (TomT), while in your town.

Black Beauty has'nt been more than 50 miles from home since the BCA Nats/GM 100th parade thru downtown Flint, MI. We feel a need to get back In the Wind.

Well, that isn't true. My Lady friend and I stopped at the Tech School and looked at it, took pictures, made the GM Corp vs GM Company pitch, and left a written offer ($5k) with the instructor. He was to take it to the Administrator. Have heard NOTHING either from school or this forum.

I suspect paranoia (on their part) has caused its breakup. I further suspect some of the people here 'know the rest of the story':rolleyes: