Check gauges

Guest WEB 38

Guest WEB 38

Replaced a bad alt. on my 94 regal GS. Now I cant get the check gauge light to go out. Does any one no the secret to turn it off? Bill WEB 38:eek:

Good Morning Bill: An alternator has an internal regulator and not one hanging on the firewall as did the Buick's which used generators. I can only assume the alternator has to be polarized as did the regulators used before alternators. Someone more knowledgeable about alternators may be able to add to this conversation but at least check it out. Thanks, Patrick W. Brooks

Guest WEB 38

The alt. was replaced a couple months ago and is working fine. Just cant get the check gauges light to go out. all the gauges are working fine. BILL web 38

No "polarization" of alternator systems, per se. Only generator systems which have been hooked up "backwards", with respect whether the ground is "+" or "-", require the labor operation of "re-polarizing the generator and/or regulator". With the later unified connector plug-ins, being able to hook something up "backwards" has been greatly minimized.

Later alternators have internal regulators, whereas even more recent systems are controlled by the ECM (turning the alternator "on" or "off", with "on" time varying with the particular electrical loacing). Seems like Pontiac first used the internal regulator in 1967 or 1968, as other GM divisions had an external regulator?

Enjoy!

NTX5467

Check battery connections for clean and tight.

Check battery voltage, no load and under load.

Check battery voltage with car running for being too low AND too high, at idle and several other higher rpm's, with a DVM.

If still no luck, have alternator checked for ripple.