1931 dual points or single?

Janousek

One set of points is much easier to set up and maintain than the two sets.

The dual points are not like the 50's performance Mallory distributors which used the points to control dwell with both sets of points opening and closing almost at the same time. The early 30's Buicks had a 4 lobe cam and one set of points fired the even cylinders and the other set fires the odd cylinders.

Bob Engle

My 1930 Model 68 has the big 331 CI 6 cylinder motor and came stock with the dual point distributor. I am wondering if there would be any detrimental effects of switching to the single point distributor for the very reason that Bob mentioned with respect to maintenance issues?

Thanks,

I was also pondering switching it to a pertronics setup. That worked really good on another car I had. I'm not sure they are available for my car though. Seems like they were. I've just gone through the engine with special pistons that bump the compression to 6.6:1 without any head cuts. I also eliminated the babbit and went to inserts. I'm looking for the best running engine possible. Thanks for the point info. I have a car manual and a reference book but I can't find any info for setting the valve train. I know that a hot engine has .008" clearance. Is there a procedure for setting the lash? Easilly I mean, like a small block or do I just turn the engine watching the valves for compression stroke. Thanks again.

I set the valves at .008 to .010 after I install the rocker arm and then after the engine is warm, I set them with the engine running. I like .008 on the intake and .010 on the exhaust even though the book calls for .008.

Then after a run down the freeway, I check them again while the engine is really hot.