89 Reatta CRT dead.

Guest rkb

Guest rkb

I have experienced my CRT going blank with no lights on the buttons. I can turn the AC on so does that mean it's communicating?

I removed the CRT and didn't get any power reading on the brown connector. Ronny

The two parts that go bad the most often in the '88-89 Reattas are the headlight switch module and the CRT/touch screen. When the CRT goes black or is intermittent almost 100% of the time it is the CRT itself. The reason you can still operate the A/C and radio is the touch screen is still working but the CRT is not lighting up.

The brown connector has two shielded wires and it is NOT battery and ground. Hopefully you did not damage the CRTC, the other end of the brown connector. The two shielded wires are the video input and the Horizontal sync input from the CRTC to the CRT.

I have a good CRT/touch screen available and can be reached at jfinn@cpinternet.com My CRT/touch screens have been tested for a minimum of two weeks in my personal car.

Guest steveskyhawk

Jim is right about CRT problems. When I read the original post this morning I thought the same thing about the possibility of damage. Probing circuits with a test light or multimeter can destroy otherwise good components if not done correctly. Hopefully the CRT Controller wasn't damaged in this case.