Chrysler transmissions, 1939-40.

Guest Classiccars

22 hours ago, Rusty_OToole said:

How thorough was the so called 12v conversion? Is anything still on 6v? If so, wire the ignition to 6v and use 6v for the trans control system and set it up as the factory intended. If possible change the whole car back to 6v. As you are finding out, 12v conversions on these cars cause more problems than they solve. Or, go back to the "genius" that did the 12v and ask him how to make the trans work. Be ready for a stunned  look and even more stunned answer.

Or take a center tap off the 12v battery for 6v.

Some exports were 12 volts. I have a parts book that list 12v  parts for a 34 Dodge truck, USA.

On 5/5/2010 at 2:33 PM, Classiccars said:

Baron, any chance you have pics of your car? I love the '39 DeSoto. A couple months ago I bought a 1948 New Yorker 4-door with 28,000-miles. I know the ownership history and am the 4th owner. I know I am really going to enjoy the car.

But I would equally have bought a '39 DeSoto if I could have found a restored one for what I paid for my New Yorker.

Where are you located? You can email me directly at jameswraymond@yahoo.com.

Lots of '39 DeSoto pics on Google:

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1280&bih=607&ei=6PyIXp4Hkoa1BpzQhcgP&q=1939+desoto&oq=1939+desoto&gs_lcp=CgNpbWcQAzICCAAyAggAMgIIADICCAAyAggAMgIIADICCAAyAggAMgQIABAYMgQIABAYOgYIABAIEB5KJAgXEiAwZzEzMGc5Mmc5MGc4NGc3Mmc4OWc3M2c5MGc3M2c4MEoZCBgSFTBnMWcxZzFnMWcxZzFnMWcxZzFnMlCYClj9KWCiLWgAcAB4AIABbIgB3wWSAQQxMC4xmAEAoAEBqgELZ3dzLXdpei1pbWc&sclient=img&ved=0ahUKEwiem6yo3M_oAhUSQ80KHRxoAfkQ4dUDCAY&uact=5

to go back to the 6 volts I need part OE p/n's 1113084(MoPar) - HRM-4102(AutoLite) which is the solenoid, does anybody know where to get one, I just found a place where they refurbish them, but I just do not have one

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...