Compression Test

Guest sintid58

Guest sintid58

I received the engine I purchased for my 55 yesterday and put it on an engine stand. I tried to do a compression test after pulling all the spark plugs out by turning the engine over with a large breaker bar. Is it possible to get a good compression reading doing this. If so the motor has pretty low readings. I did bring one up by putting some oil in the cylinder and I am wondering if the rings may be stuck. I supposed I will have to pull it apart and look at it maybe just take the parts from both motors and make one good one. :(

I don't think you'll get it spinning fast enough to get a good reading. You could probably just use a battery to get the starter spinning for 5 revolutions if there is a battery, making sure the engine is blocked up safely.

I don't think you'll get it spinning fast enough to get a good reading. You could probably just use a battery to get the starter spinning for 5 revolutions if there is a battery, making sure the engine is blocked up safely.

+1

Before tearing it down, since you are this far into it, why don't you do a leakdown test on it?? This will let you know exactly what kind of shape the valves, rings, and head gasket are in. Just a thought.

Guest sintid58

I put the starter on it and got it to spin. All cylinders are over 90 PSI. Drivers side front to rear 100-120-110-95 Passenger side front to rear 100-95-100-120. Last night I put some penetrating oil into each cylinder and after the initial time I checked I put a couple squirts of oil in each cylinder and spun the motor with the start for about 30 seconds and then I ran it again. The readings I got the last time are above and the improved some from the intitial test. I think that after it runs for awhile it should get better overall. I had thought about doing a leak down test and will probably do one. I just haven't had time to do much with it lately.

Lamar

The compression in my untouched original Century and the CVT engine that was rebuilt using original pistons is 150-170. My driver that was rebuilt with Egge pistons is ~120. Egge pistons are a compromise to work in 54-55-56...knowing that I would try to find nos or nors from the period. I have a set of nors sealed power pistons that when attached to the same wrist pin with a Egge piston has at least a 1/8 higher dome. The 264 in the truck is 120.

Willie

Guest sintid58

Yes it is a 264 and I thought the readings were pretty good, another big thank you to Mr Earl.