1928 President fuel-pump is toast!

I just returned from my Dad's farm, where we started our 28 Studebaker President FB for the first time this spring. Was surprised to find three geysers of gas spraying from around the diaphragm of the fuel pump, and dismayed to find the pot-metal has finally cracked and given way in this area. Do any of you know what years will fit a '28 FB? Or suggestions on repairs to the pot-metal if replacements are as hard to come by as I'm afraid they might be? Thanks!

Barry in St.Paul

I think 1928 was the low point for fuel pump die cast metal quality, I just had a new pump built for my 1928 Commander Big Six.

Go to www.then-now.com or call 781-335-8860. Then & Now automotive (447 Washington St.; Weymouth, MA 02188) has NEW reproduction castings available and can build you a NEW pump in a few days.

It will solve all your problems (cracking castings; gas-a-hol diaphragm failure;worn cam arm; low output pressure) in one piece.

Here are photos of the new and old pumps side by side and the new installed on the engine.

Stude8

post-31139-143138206697_thumb.jpg

post-31139-1431382067_thumb.jpg

thanks, I checked their site, looks like a great resource. I don't see prices for the complete new casting, do you have an idea what that would cost based on what you had to pay for the Big Six unit? Debating about finding a better original casting, and getting a rebuild kit from them.

The new pump for the 28 Big Six was $225. But finding a "Better" or even usable pump body is going to be a tough find.

Every one I found at fleamarkets was warped so bad from the strainer bale stress it was warped beyond what a cork or Corprene gasket would seal as well as metallurgy fractures through out. The arm on my old one had a blob of braze metal on the end that contacts the engine cam lobe to compensate for the severe wear. Overall all the internal linkage developes cumulative wear that reduces the effective diaphragm travel.

A new pump with ALL new parts just seemed like a good solution to a problem that would just go on and on with old diecast faults and the worst case a fuel leak fire hazard.

Stude8

Stude 8

My old fuel pump was replaced with an electric one years ago by a prior owner....but I'm wondering if this one you show would work for my particular vintage - 1929 Dictator GE 6cyl? I don't like the fact that the electric pump loves to flood the engine if I can't get it to start quickly. The original hole into the engine body has been covered by a plate, but can be removed by taking out some bolts.

I see that your carb is different than mine...I have a Tillotson (also from a prior owner), but not sure how much that affects this particular fuel pump?

Robert

The carburetor on my 1928 Commander is a substitute installed long ago by previous owner. It is a Carter BB-1 updraft, native to 1939 Chevrolet Cab Over truck engine. They are also found on Gray & Owens Marine engines.

It works well with the 354 cubic inch Big Six engine once I replaced the fuel pump, the carb has a horizontal float needle so fuel flow has to be substantial to keep it from sticking in closed position.

Stude8

When you order a pump from "Then and Now make sure to tell them you need a pump for the 6 cylinder Model G.E.

I believe the mounting flange is different.

Tom Hannaford is a good guy!

Bob

I tried rebuilding my pump with another lower casting we had laying around (marginally better condition), and both 'ears' promptly broke off when I started to mount it on the engine block. :- ) So, I am sending in my '28 FB fuel pump to "Then-Now" for rebuild and replacement of lower casting. They have been great to communicate with, and assured me it will fit and work when they are done. Thanks again for the tip, Stude8 !