hddennis

Screw On Hubcap Sizes?

I'm waiting for some wood wheel hub pullers to arrive and would like to identify what they fit. A helpful Model T collector suggested maybe the information I seek would be available from a hubcap collector. Can anyone point me in the right direction to obtain diameters and threads per inch of various early automobiles?

Thanks, Howard Dennis

If you know your hub cap size and thread, I could start my own list if you'll post the information along with your car make and model and the years you know are the same.

Thanks, Howard Dennis

Layden, I'll keep an eye out for you but none I have now are that large and none are double sided as your email described.

Howard Dennis

Since my last request seemed to fall on deaf ears. Let me try another way. If your car has screw on hubcaps and you know the diameter of your hub and the threads per inch could you please post it here along with your make and year and how long your make used this size if known.

Thank you, Howard Dennis

1928 Chrysler Model 62 has 16 threads per inch on 2 1/2" diameter

1930 Dodge DA has 16 threads per inch on 2 3/8" diameter

Howard,

Why not post pictures of the pullers that you have with the sizes & thread/inch so they can be identified. Do you have 6 pullers or 60? The question that you have asked is how high is up.

Thanks, I appreciate the help. To be honest I didn't think I would have any trouble getting people to share information we all could use. At the same time I posted here I also posted on another site and immediately began to get answers and even found a gentleman who has two cases of N.O.S. pullers in boxes and is willing to help with application information printed on the original boxes.

Howard Dennis

Larry, apparently I and the other people at the the previously mentioned site decided to see if they could help someone by posting what they knew. You seemed to decide if it won't help me why bother! In the time you took to post your two criticisms of my posts you could have just posted what you knew and gone on to try and help someone else.

Howard Dennis

I recently had two pullers made. Would have been nice to find some old stock ones. One was for 1911 Oakland Model 33 (30 horsepower model). It was 2 11/16" x 24 TPI. The other was for 1911 Hupmobile Model 20. It was 2 /18" x 16 TPI. I think the Oakland one would probably work for the 1910 Models 24 and 25 (also 30 horsepower), but probably not the 40 horse models. The Hupmobile would probably be the same for all of the Model 20's from 1909 through 1913, but I can't say for sure. I hope this helps someone out there.

Steve, thanks for responding in both forums. According to a hubcap collectors site I found you are correct on the 1909-13 Hupmobile Model 20 application.

Howard Dennis

Last week I attempted to get a list of what size wheel puller was used on what car and got 2 responses after 368 viewings. Thankfully people over on the Model T Ford forum were a little more helpful. Galen West and His wife Dee spent a lot of time listing all the data on his collection of N.O.S. Springfield wheel pullers and sent it to me. Since this project seems not to interest too many people I'm going to put it here and make it public information. Neither Galen, Dee nor myself vouch for, endorse nor take responsibility for anything you may choose to do with this information. Add to it, correct it or anything else you desire, we are done.

Howard Dennis

post-33891-143138211488_thumb.jpg

post-33891-143138211492_thumb.jpg

post-33891-143138211497_thumb.jpg

If you know your hub cap size and thread, I could start my own list if you'll post the information along with your car make and model and the years you know are the same.

Thanks, Howard Dennis

1929 Series A Hupmobile with wood wheels is 3 1/2'' dia 16 TPI. Do any caps have left hand threads? My uncle told me many years ago that old Dodge cars had left hand lug nuts on one side and right on the other likely to keep them tight. My first trailer had left and right lug nuts on it.

John

Hello,

The 2-11/16"-24 TPI mentioned is also the standard thread for all Buicks

1904 through 1913 equipped with the smaller size Weston-Mott wheel

hubs. There were 3 different style hubcaps used by Buick with this same

thread. The 1913 caps were nickle plated with block style letter Buick script.

Thanks,

Joe

1911 Buick model 14

1910 Buick model 10 toy tonneau

Edited by Joe Kieliszek
add makes (see edit history)

Old thread, but I have a set of aluminum screw-on hubcaps from a large 1923 Dodge Brothers truck with dual rear wheels.

Front: 2-3/4"-16tpi

Rear: 4"-6tpi

My 1904 Cadillac has 2-7/8" - 16 TPI, threaded brass hubcaps with a "Cadillac Automobile Co." logo in the center.

The 1911 Brush has a 2-1/8" - 24 TPI, threaded brass cap with "Brush" logo.

Edited by caddyshack (see edit history)

Hi Howard, I commend your effort to create a listing. One of the problems with such a list is the sheer size of anything approaching a complete list. There were literally thousands of makes/ models during the screw on hubcap era. The major makes could probably be identified over time but for all the others it's a close to impossible task. For most owners of anything other than a Ford, Dodge, Chev or Buick, if you need a hub puller it's a custom job. There are probably nearly 100 combinations of diameter / T.P,I, / and thread form. Some will be fairly common , and some will be unique to a particular make or model. Still it would be handy.

Greg