What do YOU think of a "1936 Dodge Registry" here in the Forum?

1936 D2

Should there be a "Registry" for 1936 Dodge Passenger Car Vehicles" in this "For  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be a "Registry" for 1936 Dodge Passenger Car Vehicles" in this "For

• Yes - There SHOULD be a "Registry" here for 1936 Dodge Passenger Cars.
    • No - There should NOT be a "Registry" here for 1936 Dodge Passenger Cars.
    • Yes - I will participate in a "Registry" for 1936 Dodge Passenger Cars here in the "Forum".
    • No - I would not participate in a "Registry" for 1936 Dodge Passenger Cars here in the "Forum".

What sort of information are you after? Do you mean what tool did these cars come with in the "tool kit" supplied as part of the courtesy kit or what we might carry around these days?

I have a question too, did any Dodge or Chrysler passenger cars of 1936 come out with a straight 8? If so what was the size?

Thanks again guys, one day I hope to get to the States and catch up with some of you, would be so cool to see you all and chat about our rides and their history.

regards

Shaun

1936 Chrysler 323.5 cubic inch straight 8.

Hi All,

I would like to get this registry thing started but I am having trouble finding photos of EACH of the different models of the D2 Dodge Passenger Cars for '36 Model Year.

I would like to post two photos of each of the ten models of passenger cars as an identification tool for those responding to the registry. This will also include EXPORT models (D3 - D4 - D2X). There will then be a total of 40 photos! (Two for each of the 20 versions of the '36 Dodge Passenger Car - both Domestic AND Export).

4Dr Touring Sedan 174,334 (Trunk Back)

2Dr Touring Sedan 37,468 (Trunk Back)

Business Coupe 32,952

4Dr Sedan 5,996 (Flat Back)

Rumble Seat Coupe 4,317

2Dr Sedan 2,453 (Flat Back)

7 Passenger Sedan 1.942 (Limo)

Convertible Coupe 1,525

Commercial Sedan 1,358

Convertible Sedan 750

The photos I am looking for will be a "1/4 front view" and the opposing "3/4 back view" of each car. These two photos would show almost all aspects of each vehicle to help people entering data into the particular sections of the "Registry" with the correct identification of their particular model of '36 Dodge. I would suggest photos of the right front and left rear (so as to show the gas filler as clearly as possible).

These photos should have the least "busy" background as possible, NOT include any other vehicle in the shot, and would fill the full frame of the photo with the vehicle from the two suggested angles (but to be sure to see all parts of the car).

If anyone would like to submit their particular car's photos for this noble undertaking, please leave a note with your email address in this thread or go right ahead and post your two photos here in your reply. I will either get back to you via email or pull the photos right off this thread to use in the registry posting. If there are photos submitted that are duplicates of the same model, it will be my sole discretion as to which photos will be used in the "Registry". I will be looking for ORIGINALITY of the particular model and OVERALL QUALITY of the photo. The photos will ONLY be used here in the "Registry" with public rights unless other express consent is given by the owner for further use.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer! This would be a great way for you to show off YOUR car for posterity!

Guest 1930

I mean the original tool kit tools that your cars came with, I know what your kits consisted of to a certain degree but I am needing pictures of some of these tools, believe it or not some of your original tool part #s went back to 29 so we shared the same tools.

I am wondering if your owners manuals or service manuals had any pict. of the original tool sets or maybe someone knows where an original tool set might be found.

I cant answer the 8 cyl. question because I dont know.

Guest rowie

1930, sorry brother, wish I had pics of what mine was delivered with, when I brought my old girl she was in a zillion pieces and the only part of the original tool kit I found was the canvas bag!

1936D2, I have a few pics of my Australian made D2 you are very free to use if you wish brother.

Here are some.

IMG_0375.jpg

IMG_0374.jpg

IMG_0373.jpg

Hope that helps a bit mate.

Hey!

Thanks for the shots Shaun!

Gee. I am wondering. Why would I get the first shots, as a response to my post, from an EXPORT owner? Where are all you "Domestic" guys? Don't let the "Australianders" show us up guys! No derision intended Shaun! Just a jab at the "locals".

And here enters the first question: This can't be a "D2" model because of obvious differences. (I think I mentioned this earlier). This must be a "D3" or maybe a "D4" model EXPORT vehicle. This is one of the things I hope to help clear up with the "Registry".

Shaun, does your car have a provable original engine? If so, what does the "Engine Number" start with? If not, the "Serial Number" on the right door post may be helpful - at least for now. That way we may be able to start getting a handle on the D2 - D2X - D3 - D4 thing.

Anyway, this is a good START. And thanks again "rowie" for all your interest!

Guest rowie

1936, sorry, the original engine is long gone, it's times like these I wish I could have repaired it but the previous owners had made well sure that was not possible.

I will pull up the floor coverings and search the chassis for the serial numbers and other build numbers, anything that I can find that may be of help to the cause.

I used to own a D38 and a D40, both sedans but health (yeah I know I'm only 45) meant I had to move them on, sad moment.

It's funny really, here in Australia many of us were brought up as either a Blue blood (Ford) or Red blooded (Holden, GMH), I thought I was a dyed in the wool red blood until I picked up an Australian built Valiant with a slanty, this was way back in the 80's. But it wasn't until I brought my D40 that I realized how much of a MoPar man I was.

Finding my 36, getting it on the road and taking my father for a drive prior to him passing away was the penultimate moment.

I know she needs a few more parts that I am finding near impossible or way out of my price range, just small but important things. Hopefully one day.

It feels so good and rewarding being apart of this thread.

Edited by rowie (see edit history)

Guest rowie
To correct myself...there was also a 384.8 cubic engine in 10 Chrysler CW limousines in 1936.

Keiser, what was the HP these managed to put out? It's actually this little detail that I am after.

Guest rowie
Can someone me where your tool kits were originally kept. Maybe under a seat or in the trunk?

My old gal has this fantastic metal tray fixed to the wooden frame under the seat, it's so kitch and nifty with all it's little strap mounts and loops to hold things, it's really cool.

I use it to hold my small emergency kit of tools and stuff I need to keep hidden from prying eye's seeing as the old girl doesn't have an actual door lock on any of the doors.

Can someone me where your tool kits were originally kept. Maybe under a seat or in the trunk?

Both my 1931s and my 1936 Dodges that I had, have a tray beneath the seat as mentioned above, but no straps included.

• 10 months later...
If there's anyone interested,I could show

them a 4 door in a junkyard here in South Jersey.

Well I finally got down to that Junkyard to see that '36 Dodge. I know this thread died out last year but I promised to go there. Porchtown recyclers is on Rt 40 in Malaga, NJ about 10 miles east of Elmer or halfway between Cowtown and Atlantic City. To Jack M, it does have a glove compt door but rusted open.The engine is a P15 but the doorpost# is4201475 and the firewall# is D2 5351TSA It even has a radio,originality unknown

post-66242-143138551997_thumb.jpg

post-66242-143138552001_thumb.jpg

post-66242-143138552006_thumb.jpg

post-66242-14313855201_thumb.jpg

post-66242-143138552015_thumb.jpg

post-66242-143138552019_thumb.jpg

Well I finally got down to that Junkyard to see that '36 Dodge. I know this thread died out last year but I promised to go there. ... the doorpost# is 4201475 and the firewall# is D2 5351TSA ...

THANKS a bunch Dave for the follow-up! You are right about the post. It has kind of died out. There just needs to be a better way to track this kind of "Registry Data", and this Forum's format I have found, is not very good for that style of data management. If a nice clean process to do this is ever identified (like a separate web page dedicated to the purpose - sort of like the Plymouth guys are doing), then we may take another stab at it.

I am thankful you were able to grab the partial data off this car before it disappeared all together! I was wondering though, were you able to catch closeup photos of the number plates? Did you see the number stamped right into the firewall metal on the passenger's side? By looking at the amount of rust, that number may not be visible anymore.

Again, thanks for your efforts! I am glad you remembered this forum post!

All the pics that I took are here. It seems there are still some parts somebody needs. The firewall number was on an aluminum tag screwed on,there was evidence of another tag above it. I didn't see any numbers stamped but they might have been there.Any more info can be had by contacting the yard, the number is on the sign.

The rusted hinge model seems common to these. If I had one I would let it soak and see if it would loosen up. I have looked at a couple of them and they are all rusted solid and have scared me off. Thanks for the follow thru Dave.