What do YOU think of a "1936 Dodge Registry" here in the Forum?

1936 D2

Should there be a "Registry" for 1936 Dodge Passenger Car Vehicles" in this "For  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be a "Registry" for 1936 Dodge Passenger Car Vehicles" in this "For

• Yes - There SHOULD be a "Registry" here for 1936 Dodge Passenger Cars.
    • No - There should NOT be a "Registry" here for 1936 Dodge Passenger Cars.
    • Yes - I will participate in a "Registry" for 1936 Dodge Passenger Cars here in the "Forum".
    • No - I would not participate in a "Registry" for 1936 Dodge Passenger Cars here in the "Forum".

Say all... I see there seems to be a concerted effort by people here in the "Dodge Brothers Forum" to post their interest in the 1936 models of Dodge Passenger Cars!

This brings me to my question. I have always thought of putting together a "Registry" of 1936 Dodge Passenger Cars but didn't really know how or where to do it. There seems to be quite a bit of contact here in the "Forum" between interested owners of those vehicles. So... how about a registry here?

I will start a new thread (or threads) designed to hold information on the where abouts of any and all, "still alive", 1936 Dodges. Maybe a thread for each model. People could post the three (or four) important numbers from their vehicles ("Serial Number - "Engine Number" - "Body Tag Number" and "Firewall Number", locations of the vehicle (maybe not specifically) and their owner's names (or AACA Forum alias) in an effort to track these cars, see some great photos of each, and make a centralized spot for owners to meet and exchange info in an effort to preserve these great cars.

There doesn't seem to be as much Club interest in the later models as the earlier Senior or Victory models for instance so we later owners should get off our collective backsides and pump up our later cars a bit. A "Registry" would be a great place to start!

OK - Here are the questions....

1) - Do you think there is a need for a centralized registry for 1936 model Dodge Passenger Car Vehicles?

2) - Would you participate in posting information to the "Registry" if there was one?

Let us know what you think? Pass this on to as many 1936 Dodge owners as you can. A LOT of them are not active in this "Forum" YET!

The "Poll" questions will only be open for 60 days. (Get your friends to joint the "AACA Forum" so they can reply!) ALSO, you can only enter your poll answers ONE TIME so if you have questions about the poll, ask BEFORE you vote!

If there seems to be a positive interest I will set something up.

Stu

PS: Any of you "other than 1936 owners" out there can use this format once set up and start your own "Registry" for other years if this takes hold.

post-67404-143138204351_thumb.jpg

Edited by 1936 D2 (see edit history)

I don't have a '36, but I think it's good idea. There are about 50 '36 cars listed in the last club roster. The more like minded owners get together the better it is for all. At the Oregon meet about 8 of us DA owners compared our cars, who needs what, or has extras. It was very helpful. There seems to be a surge of later model DBs coming out of the woodwork and joining the club.

Yup. I'm hoping that some of those 50 will each also know a couple owners that are not registered members of the "DBC" (and maybe get them interested enough to join)! Also, for whatever reasons (distance, time, money, etc.), there are plenty of people that have never had the privilege of attending a National Meet of the "DBC", so this "Forum" is a way to communicate. The "Registry" would help with that communication AND post some interesting and helpful info to members, directly interested in 1936 Dodges, at the same time. A "Win - Win"!

I am also hoping the "Registry" will bring them together, then once they meet in the "Registry" they can start a new thread and handle whatever business they need to do. Sort of like how a conversation at a Club meet would go.

Thanks for the friendly words (you DA'er)! :D

Where is everybody? :confused: There must be more than one other '36 Dodge owner out there besides me! It's easy and FREE to sign up, get a log in and reply! This poll is anonymous. But you are welcome to post a comment also! You may even find a lot of information here in the forums you were never aware of before! Well worth your time.

So, pass the word and let's get as many '36 owners to reply as possible! I know you are all interested in this information, and that there are owners of other year Dodges out there that would like to do the same thing. But none of it will happen if there is no interest.

Thanks! :)

My 36 is not stock

For the purposes of the "Registry", that doesn't matter. ;) The "Registry" is for tracking the three (or four) unique numbers and to get a handle on how many '36 Dodges are left in the world and where they are. These could even be junk vehicles in a junk yard (as long as they are just sitting there and not - gulp - imminently headed for the crusher)! :eek:

I hope to track info like the condition of the vehicle also.

Thanks for the reply, vote AND photos!

I like the idea of a 1936 dodge register. I am currently restoring a 36 touring sedan with dual sidemounts like the one pictured, beautiful car, by the way, and sharing info specific to our cars would be great. 1935 Plymouth has it's own web site, we can surely set up a registry?

Just so I can sort of keep track here...

Of the six that voted so far:

Three (3) are proud '36 Dodge Owners and agree with the need and will participate. :)

One is a non-'36 Dodge Owner that supports the need but doesn't have numbers from a '36 to put in! ;)

One is a proud '36 Dodge Owner but has a street rod version, placed a vote agreeing with the need but didn't think he could participate. (We straightened out that idea in an earlier post - "Of course you can participate". AND participation is encouraged). But he had already closed his vote. Once you do that you cannot get in to change your vote again. So his vote shows as a "Not Participate".

The third "Not Participate" is unknown to me.

So, there you have it. That's how the voting works. It should be pretty self explanatory BUT, if you have questions about how to answer the poll, ASK BEFORE YOU START the process and lock in your vote!

HAVE A GOOD ONE! :D

I like the idea of a 1936 dodge register. I am currently restoring a 36 touring sedan with dual sidemounts like the one pictured, beautiful car, by the way, and sharing info specific to our cars would be great. 1935 Plymouth has it's own web site, we can surely set up a registry?

Welcome aboard "Steve9"! You will find this group VERY accommodating! Just start a new thread in this "Dodge & Dodge Brothers" section, post a couple photos of your car (everyone likes photos!), and keep us appraised of your progress. Any questions you have will be answered.

We'll be watching!;)

Guest Rob1960

although I just sold my 1936 Dodge to a collector in wisconsin, I will be most interested to continue to be part of the Dodge Brothers forum, and participate in this registry.

I did not vote.

Go ahead "JACK M". You can vote in the poll even though it is a rod. It is still a '36 Dodge! ;)

Mainly trying to keep track of ALL of the cars a bit and to gain some specific data on the uniqueness of the numbers.

Have a good one! :)

although I just sold my 1936 Dodge to a collector in wisconsin, I will be most interested to continue to be part of the Dodge Brothers forum, and participate in this registry.

COOL! (Have to get the new owner to reply to the "Registry"!) Thanks for the update Rob!

If there's anyone in terested,I could show them a 4 door in a junkyard here in South Jersey.

Dave,

Would that junk yard car have a glove box lid and hinge assy available?

I have a junk one so am looking for better.

It would be really cool if it had a clock.

Maybe just a phone number for the place although it would be good to get an unbiased opion on the condition.

Thanks, JACK

See Stu,

Your idea is already working.

There ya go "JACK M". Hey "Dave Mellor NJ" (or "JACK M")...

When you go out to South Jersey to pick up the Glove Box Door ;) , grab the three known unique numbers (Serial, Engine & Body) off that car and also grab the firewall stamped number to help us figure out what it is for. (See firewall photo - by the hoses). Then you would be able to post them once we start the "Registry"! (See sample photos for examples of how to do these photos.)

(Maybe you could also get a few photos of the exterior of the car in the junkyard and it's numbers).

THAT'S what we're talking about!:D

post-67404-143138209395_thumb.jpg

post-67404-143138221998_thumb.jpg

post-67404-14313822201_thumb.jpg

I don't know when I'll get back to that yard, but when I do, I will try to get the info and some pics and post them.The yard is near Vineland if anybody is near I can show them.The car has been in the same spot for years,rough but mostly complete,I don't know if they're parting it or what.

My cp has the glove box door with the clock and locking handle. Very neat option to have and hard to find. This is a great idea and I think it will be a BIG help to anyone restoring a '36.

Bob

Dave,

Would that junk yard car have a glove box lid and hinge assy available?

I have a junk one so am looking for better.

It would be really cool if it had a clock.

Maybe just a phone number for the place although it would be good to get an unbiased opion on the condition.

Thanks, JACK

I don't know when I'll get back to that yard, but when I do, I will try to get the info and some pics and post them.The yard is near Vineland if anybody is near I can show them.The car has been in the same spot for years,rough but mostly complete,I don't know if they're parting it or what.

Dave,

Thanks for the effort if you do get there and retain all that info. BUT, please hang on to it until I actually post the "Registry" in separate listings. DO NOT post the info here! It will get lost. This is just a research question to judge interest in the "Registry" idea.

Thanks!

It is mostly the hinge assy that I need, I may be able to restore the door that I have.

The clock idea is kind of a dream.

I was at a swap meet a few years ago and was talking to a guy the was putting clocks in the shift knob. A very cool idea. I have never run into that guy since.

I do not think that my car has any of its original tags on it. It may even have an Oregon assigned number, I dont remember. It has been at least 25 years since I did the permanent registration on it.

Hey Dave!

Congratulations on your purchase!

At this time the plan is only for passenger cars. There are enough significant differences between cars and trucks I decided to focus only on cars at this point in time. Sorry!

But, there MAY be a truck knowledgeable person out there that has the same interest in forming a "Registry" for trucks that we had here for cars. That person would be welcome to "copy" the technique I will be using here in the "AACA Forum" to keep track of the passenger car info, and apply the same format to trucks.

You never know, so keep an eye on the "Dodge & Dodge Brothers Forum" in case something pops up for trucks too!

Many thanks for your interest and good question! :D

:o OK. Checking to see if I can get some help. I need to find 1/4 view photos of each model of the '36 Dodge Passenger Car vehicles. I would like to show opposing sides of each of the nine different models of '36 Dodge Passenger car styles, meaning a photo from the right front and left rear OR a photo from the left front and right rear of each style. I need these for each of the 9 models for both domestic AND export versions of the '36 Dodge. (I also need to make sure there were 9 styles for the export vehicles too. Not absolutely sure on that.)

My plan is to start a separate thread for each model where people can list their three (or four) unique numbers for their vehicles with photos of the numbers themselves attached to their thread response. Each thread will start with general descriptive info for each model and will have the two photos attached to help people identify their particular model of '36 Dodge Passenger vehicle.

But my problem is I am having all kinds of trouble finding photos of the two views of each model! SO any ideas as to where I can find these photos or even volunteered copies of photos you already have would be GREAT! I am sure there is someone out there with knowledge of where these photos may be found.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me on finding these photos so I can get this "Registry" started! :D

Guest D2P18

To be able to learn from other Dodge owners would be very beneficial and a wonderful way to network within the group. I can see that given a good start it can lead to the sharing of other information about the cars we love.

Guest D2P18

1936 D2....The Dodge registry is a very good idea......Can I ask questions also?......Here goes....I have a 1936 D2 that for some reason is titled as a 1935.......I have taken a title search as far back as 1988 in New Jersey and have ran into a "New Jersey Driver's Privacy Protection Act" that will not let me get further title search information. The search info is needed for a legal matter and very important. Does any one have any idea how to take this title search farther. Thank You.

Guest hwess

Off the cuff guess, since the 36 model came out in late 35 and was sold in late 35

would they title it as a 35?

1936 D2....The Dodge registry is a very good idea......Can I ask questions also?......Here goes....I have a 1936 D2 that for some reason is titled as a 1935.......I have taken a title search as far back as 1988 in New Jersey and have ran into a "New Jersey Driver's Privacy Protection Act" that will not let me get further title search information. The search info is needed for a legal matter and very important. Does any one have any idea how to take this title search farther. Thank You.

This subject has come up before in another forum. Apparently it wasn't uncommon for certain states to be qute adament that a car sold new in a given year (1935, in this case) should only be designated by the year in which it was purchased. Thus it's likely that your '36 was sold in the fall of '35. I don't know how long such stupidity continued, but they eventually sopped the practice.

• 4 weeks later...

We are approaching the 60 day limit for the poll question.

With only 946 views since April 25th, 32 replies, and only 15 votes I am thinking that there are not enough '36 Dodge Passenger Car owners out there that seem to have an interest in the historical and contact data a "Registry" could provide. It would be a fair piece of work to set this up in a useful manner by finding and presenting dual photos of each of the 9 models (and double that because of Domestic and Export versions) so those newer to their particular model can identify the right category for their data entry - listing known production figures and serial number strings for each of the models along with other interesting data - and laying it out in a form that almost anyone reading the forum would get their particular vehicle's data into the correct category. Sounds like a daunting experiment.

I would be game to take a whack at it, but there doesn't seem to be an interest base to make it come out with enough data to make it meaningful. I am even having trouble finding front quarter and rear quarter photos of each model to use as descriptive samples!

(Note: One interesting thing I did find along the way, while looking for photos of the different models, is that the '36 2Dr Touring Sedan - for whatever reason - seems to have the back of a '35 attached to the front of a '36! Why this model does not look like the rest of the '36 models (from the back) I do not yet know. But this type "Registry" data could help bring some light to those kinds of interesting issues!)

I am tending to lean toward dropping the idea for now, but am open to comments.

(And again, sorry to the truck guys - you can see where this would be really tough to start because of the multitude of truck models, body designs, etc. That would be a whole other project!) ;)

Guest rowie

Sorry, I meant to add that it's near impossible to get production figures from the assembly line here in Australia due to the fire that destroyed all records way back when!

We find it very frustrating here as it's so hard to track down any historical information for any of our Australian manufactured vehicles. That goes for commercial and passenger.

WW2 made it a lot harder here also due to many of the American cars being taken up and put into service for the war effort.

After the war many were either sold at auction or taken home by the officers and then re-painted in civilian colours.

Personally I wish I knew more on the history of my old girl, the stories she could tell.

I do know that sometime after the war she was purchased by a farmer out past central New South Wales and was used as their "Sunday" or "go to town" car.

At some stage, around 1970, some bright spark decided to run the old girl without lubrication as the original engine was seized solid, the white metal bearings on the crank had melted and fused the whole assembly together!

While it was stored in the shed some other bright spark (or the same bright spark of oil fame) decided to give her a new coat of colour and proceeded to remove the brightwork then paint the car in a dark blue. To say they painted everything would be an understatement!

The windows were painted, the tops of the seats were painted and they even managed to get some colour on the car!

The preparation couldn't have been too good as most of it is cracking and feeling off giving her the fantastic patina currently worn.

I am seriously in 2 minds whether to strip her down and give her a new colour, it's part of her history.

Oh! If anyone has a spare pair of bonnet hinge keepers, the pieces that hold the center hinge in place to the car, can you please let me know :D

Take care guys.

rowie

• 2 weeks later...

I am looking for tool kit information for the 35 36 DU 36 D2 D3 and D4 any of you guys willing to share what info you might have?

Guest rowie

What sort of information are you after? Do you mean what tool did these cars come with in the "tool kit" supplied as part of the courtesy kit or what we might carry around these days?

I have a question too, did any Dodge or Chrysler passenger cars of 1936 come out with a straight 8? If so what was the size?

Thanks again guys, one day I hope to get to the States and catch up with some of you, would be so cool to see you all and chat about our rides and their history.

regards

Shaun