$675,000.oo for the #6 Delaware license plate...

keiser31

WOW!! I just saw on the "Morning Show" that some guy paid $675,000.00 for the #6 Delaware license plate. One license plate! Lesson learned...more folks are interested in a low number license plate more than the type of car it is attached to! Who'd a thunk it??

Guest desotoguy46

I think i could have found something better to spend that money on, humm maybe a house, or a shelby or 3, maybe even a cobra. must be nice to be able to throw away money like that

Guest Gary Hearn

It is my understanding that in Delaware you keep the same number from year to year, so I expect that having a low number is a status thing. At least he didn't obtain it by doing a political favor....

Guest Skyking
It is my understanding that in Delaware you keep the same number from year to year, so I expect that having a low number is a status thing. .

This is the same in RI. My dad had a fairly low number for over 50 years. He turned it over to me when he gave up his car.

Darn, An I turned down the chance to buy # 12 in Texas. The plates go with the car down here and while I liked the plate, the car it was attached to was not quite what I wanted. From what I was told, the gentleman who owned the car was a high ranking official in the licensing division.

Guest thug23

New York was the first state to require vehicle registration tags in April 1901 which was simply the owners initials put onto a piece of paper.

Later in 1903 initials went to issued numbers for a few states including NY, CA, MA.

In 1918 all states were required to have an issued numeral plate.

I may be off on my dates :confused: but that's pretty close.

There was just a blurb in my paper about some low number plates being auctioned. They were in the $40,000 to 50,000 range. No comment on relative intelligence level of buyers. Whatever floats your boat I say..............bob

Guest dokks6t9
There was just a blurb in my paper about some low number plates being auctioned. They were in the $40,000 to 50,000 range. No comment on relative intelligence level of buyers. Whatever floats your boat I say..............bob

Just what I said....but in a different context.