Reatta prices going up ?

A friend subscribes to the Keith Martin collector car price tracker sheet published weekley. On the week ending 4/13 2010 there were 13 auctions that sold Reattas. Here is the breakdown for coupes. These are considered current auction, not retail prices. Very Good, $6,487 Average Driver $3,678 Needs TLC $2,250

I guess that pretty much reflects what they're going for. The low production numbers will only add to thier value - especially as more and more turn into parts cars or are crushed. I'd hate to think what mine is worth. It's in good shape - I do keep it up, but it now has 237K on it, though it runs smooth as a low mileage engine. Scares most people ! I have no plans to sell, so I guess it's a mute point.

As an aside... I recently bought a 93 Allante ( brain cells are whacked out ). They, too, have production numbers almost the same as the Reatta, around 21k, but had a 7 year run, versus 4. I looked up E-bay this morning - 14 Reatta's for sale and 36 Allante's. I'm trying to analyze this and my best guess is that Reatta owners must be happier with their cars - or that maybe the cost of ownership is too high for the Allante. I love the Northstar, but shudder to think about how a major engine repair could quickly turn it into a parts car. The Reatta is definately more reliable and user friendly - and us owners ? We've got a unique little car that still feels good to drive and will keep / increase it's value.

I recently sold my '93 Allante. It was a trouble free enjoyable car. Sold it for a couple reasons: I don't think the '93 Allante will appreciate much further and I didn't drive the car much - especially after getting the Reatta. I also needed the space for a newly purchased Trans Am.

If I had to do it over, a 1992 would be the model year of choice.

To some extent you are witnessing the power of the Internet. Between this forum and Reatta.Net and Ronnie's site, there is far more technical information available on keeping a Reatta going than for an Allante.

Then there is the availability of parts: the 3800/440T4 powertrain is probably the most common modern GM powertrain on the planet. Everything is still available. We complain about the price of a windshield but the fact is they are available (and glass is usually an insurance matter).

Finally, there is the ease of maintenance. The Northstar and the Ecotech (nee Quad-4) develop a lot of power but the overhead cams are a nightmare to work on. GM seemingly comes out with a new TSB on how to torque the heads yearly. The 3800 is simplicity itself. What I suspect finally doomed it was being an iron engine inan all-aluminum GM (what happened to composite/ceramic engines - were some running about a decade ago but just dissappeared).

So it is not just one thing that makes the Reatta continue but a combination of many & the world is just being slow to discover. This is not necessarily a bad thing.

Popular Mechanics‎ - Nov 1983 - Page 58Magazine - Vol. 160, No. 5 - 188 pages

The plastic engine, which will appear in a European racing car next year, is

about 50 percent lighter than an all- metal model. Holtzberg won't say which ...

Full view

Every day I look at the Reattas for sale on Craigslist. Some of the nicer cars are still an incredible bargain in comparison with some other collector cars. I have not yet noticed an upward pricing trend, and see some ads repeated several times with lower prices. Nice cars like the Reatta seem like they should sell for more. But in a way I am glad that they dont as the current price level lets new collectors get involved with a fun and unusual car.

Bob-

Agree with you on that sentiment. I also hope the prices don't start a major upward trend until I can get a nice 88 (or 89) to go with my 91. Right now, it looks like it will likely be next year before that is a possibility. It's killing me, as I have seen several really nice ones that would have fit the bill, but present circumstances dictate otherwise.

In any case, there are other factors that will affect the value of Reattae. One is the price of gas. With developments the past few days in the gulf, I expect we will be looking at $4+/gal gasoline again this summer. That will encourage the purchase of econo-boxes and hybrids again, and discourage the purchase of old cars with moderate MPG's. This may not be a major factor, but I am sure it will have some effect.

Also, unlike many currently popular collector cars from the 50's-70's, the Reatta is a relatively complex car in terms of electronics. This scares some people off, since automotive electrical systems are something you either get, or you don't. Those in the latter camp try to avoid the hair-pulling that comes from working on complex vehicle electronics. Doesn't phase me, or many on this forum, but it is an issue for a lot of people I know who avoid late 80's and 90's cars for that very reason.

KDirk

Agree, many are scared off by the electronics. Since buying the white car I have only seen one with the ABS light off. Milage is also getting up there particularly on ones on CL.

Is an 89 on local CL that started at $1500 and now is at $800 "the only bad thang is that it has a cracked windshield and some loose wires for the touch screen " Right.

Do have a friend with a Fiero that is driving me batty. No spark. Everything checks out good & am getting to the point of having to make some test adapters to find out what is really happening. Next step I think is to build up a distributer/coil test stand and try to model the ignition.

BTW lessee 8000 miles per year (prolly high) at 15 (way low butt ok) mpg and $4/gal = $2133

Hybrid get 40 mpg = $800/per year. Savings $1333/year or $111/mo.

How many hybrids or even econoboxes can you buy for $111/mo ? Even with a 7 year loan ? Maybe one with no a/c and pedals.

Edited by padgett (see edit history)
Do have a friend with a Fiero that is driving me batty. No spark. Everything checks out good & am getting to the point of having to make some test adapters to find out what is really happening.
I might have been down that road before... If there is no spark and no spray from the injectors it could be a bad crank position sensor (crank trigger) in the bottom of the distributor or the wire from the sensor to the ECM has a problem. The crank trigger only sends .9 volts to the ECM and it is easy for voltage to be lost due to a bad connection. Check for the .9 volt at the ECM. Sorry, can't remember the wire color or number.