Le Baron Stutz.

Vintman

Hi Folks,

On another learning curve. Had an enquiry from UK about a Stutz photographed in UK, and asking if it is a MB Le Baron. Would much appreciate if somebody could advise me what the recognition features of a Le Baron are over a Roadster or a convertible. I am assuming this car is cca 1929-31?

Regards

Vintman (UK)

www.svvs.org

post-58492-143138203523_thumb.jpg

I will gladly defer to Al San Clemente on this one, but it appears to be a Model M. This one is obviously a convertible coupe (cabriolet), based on the windshield frame and landau bars.

The MA had a 134.5-inch wheelbase, while the MB had a 145-inch, so I'd say this is an MA from 1930-31, or the M from 1929-30 with a 134.5-inch wheelbase.

I think the LeBaron cars were all on the 145-inch wheelbase.

Edited by West Peterson (see edit history)

Usual headlamps for M series should be Ryanlites, which this has not. Of the features I look for, not a lot can be absolutely discerned in this photo, except the bonnet sides are definitely not AA series. The body may very well be English. I'll have a look at Hugo Pfau's "Custom Body Era" tomorrow to make comparisons. Those wheel discs/wheels look decidedly English and non-American . To me it looks to be not a long wheelbase car. The LeBaron badge on th body ahead of the door on one side is the most definite identification if it is visible. Hugo Pfau recognised the body of my late 1927/early 1928 "Prince of Wales"5passenger sedan from the numbers on the cast bronze reinforcing brackets for the body, and because it was one of his designs. I found confirmation in the F R Atkinson labels of the seat spring bases, which cited Lebaron Inc as customer. These are things you cannot see in a photo like this, and to be honest, there is not enough definitive detail visible to be certain that it is a Stutz.

Thanks West for your input which seems to agree with my inexperienced thoughts in looking at standard photos. Thanks also to Ivan for his details. Regret photo is not good quality so no badge is apparent. Just possible that the car may have originated from or have been to Argentina at some time earlier in its life. No UK registration visible, so not a help in dating.

On the 'quality of photo' subject, I tend to prefer to receive a photo however bad, rather than receive no photo at all. I would have missed some magnificent gems in the over 650 identifications shown on our Help Pages ! In view of the damaged photos I receive, I have also become relatively good at my new hobby of repairing photos.

Thanks and Regards

Vintman (UK)

361436829_o.jpg?nc=904

Above is a 1929 - 1930 Stutz Model M coupe. Found this photo on e bay. Basically the same body as the conv coupe except for the top. We have a problem here folks. The front fenders are NOT the same. I'll tell you something else. Look how tall the man is next to the car in the old photo. I don't think the car in the old photo is a 134 1/2 wheelbase car. Also, the horizontal hood louvers are longer in length than on a Stutz. there's a good 4 - 5 inches between the end of the louver and the radiator shell on other M's I've seen. I don't think it's a six cylinder Blackhawk either because the hood looks too long.

Edited by K8096 (see edit history)