Sign in to follow this  
martylum

trailer towing Suburban

I recently asked about Suburbans used for towing my 24' box trailer and got lots of advice on this site. I've found a number of suburbans in my price range less than 10 yrs old but they're all 1/2 tons and I'm using an 87 3/4 ton pickup now with concerns a 1/2 unit won't do the job as well.

Anybody out there have a 3/4 ton Suburban with factory towing package for SALE. I'm looking for one less than 10 years old with 100,000 or less miles.

Thanks.

Marty Lum

Central PA

marty@oldercar.com

I don't have one but an advanced search on Ebay for "2500 Suburban tow" in Titles and Descriptions, shows several that you might want to consider.

We used a half-ton suburban for a while. It could do the job but it was equipped with a 454 V8. It was kind of nice in that it had a much better ride than the 3/4 ton. That said, I'd recommend you keep looking for a 3/4-ton. Another thing you may want to consider is an Avalanche.

I would look for one from 2003-2006, as that's when they had the 496cid/340hp V8 that provided 455 lb.-ft. of torque. The later engines, while having more horsepower with 366hp, were smaller and had much less torque (364cid & 380 lb-ft torque).

Marty,

West is right on the money with his advice.

One like our '02 with 2500 Series and 8.1 Litres is the way to go, or else an older one, already rebuilt like our 1986 3/4 ton with 454 engine and 400 tranny. Another option is for an Excursion with the 7.3 Turbo-Diesel and 4-wheel-drive - we find that it does as well as the Suburban - only that it seems embarrased not to have a Bow-Tie. Seriously, it is also a decent hauler for our type of use.