30u roadster side curtains

Guest fordv840

Guest fordv840

Hi all,

Does anyone have a picture of these? I have some that came with the car made out of duct tape and clear plastic, lol. Also there is a chrome hole on the top of my doors that I assume some part of the window curtain would go into? Did they have a metal frame of some type? I would like to get some new ones made.

Thanks,

Jay

Guest martylum

Hi-I have a 1930 Desoto roadster which I gave a full restoration in the early 90s. I made patterns and had new sidecurtains made of the same material as the top canvas. The sidecurtains at the doors have a 5/16" rod with specials double bends and painted in black enamel. Desoto and Plymouth share a body and chassis in this time period so I think the curtains would be the same.

I still have the curtain patterns and will lend for handling costs. I have made new sidecurtain rods for a number of other early Chrysler roadster owners. They slip into a pocket sewn into the door curtain and the lower end slips into the aluminum spool pressed into the top of the back of the door. This rod brings the curtain with the door when you open. Sometimes the aluminum spool is missing.

I've been very pleased with the rain performance of my car's curtains. They have kept out the weather in heavy rain while on the road. Biggest moisture problem in the rain is condensation on the inside of the windshield.

Call me for details if you are interested. Martin Lum 717-749-3383 daytime weekdays

I can't say the same for a 30-U, but I do know for sure that a 28 Q/29 U roadster windshield frame and windshield posts are taller than the DeSoto roadster. About an inch as I recall. Yes, the doors and back body are shared, but I "think" the cowl height was the difference.

So I think a slight modification to the patterns may be needed to fit the windshield areas.