Sign in to follow this  
Barry Wolk

1958 Continental Mark III w/suicide doors

The Continental for 1958 was planned to be a face-lifted 4-door with suicide doors. Lincoln was working on a pillarless design, but that's as far as it went.

This is what was to be.

IMG_0615.jpg

IMG_0616.jpg

IMG_0613.jpg

Benefits of AACA Membership.

Interesting to see how they utilized existing parts to make a new model. This appears to be a plan to offer a Continental 4 door alongside the 2 door, using the original 1956 body.

This would give them something new to sell at a minimal cost for tooling.

Evidently the idea went noplace. Instead they scrapped the Continental and replaced it with the new 4 seater Thunderbird which had a lot of Continental overtones, plus the 4 door Continental Mark III based on the regular Lincoln 4 door hardtop with extra trim.

They should have built it. It would have to have been better looking than the cars they built in 1958-60. As for the 1958 Edsel, especially the Citation models, they were a sight better looking than the Lincolns even if they did have a horse collar grille.

Barry; So are you going to build one of those 4 door Mk IIs. It would be great to see that car come to life! ken

As interesting as this whole idea is,they show no attempt to "Quad" the lights.As we all know,all 1958 cars incorporated dual headlights into their designs.The few exceptions were Studebaker Lark,Rambler American and Jeeps. Did I miss any?.

Actually, had the program continued I found memos addressing the added cost of quads. I'm glad they didn't do it. Here's why.

Dscf0001.jpg

Thanks for clearing that up, Barry. I'm not criticizing the Edsel,there's already enough people to do that. I also had two of them. I'm just saying maybe Ford wouldn't have taken the Edsel bath if they had gone this route instead.

Barry, do you know the level of involement Gordon Buehrig had with the Continental and subsequent Lincoln Continental designs? I do not own a copy of his book "Rolling Sculpture" , but I am aware of some renderings in it from the era. I am aware of his earlier work for Ford but would be curious about this. interesting how close coupled sort of suicide door design which was later adopted really seems to fit the car.

Thanks for sharing!

New find. A complete set of detail drawings for this car has fallen into my lap. It is 31 pages, 12" x 24", of 1:1 construction details for a car that never was.

IMG_0767.jpg

• Like 1

Quad headlamps would have really ruined the looks of the Continental Mk II body. That may have been the reason they decided not to build it. I agree in 1958 quad headlights would have had to be incorporated.

Holy Cow! Where on earth did you get those plans of the 1958 Continental Berline?

And how can I get a copy? I'm almost falling off my chair in shock.

Mark

PM sent. However, I'm finding that this is a different car than the one Gordon B. called the Berline. Ford never called it that.

Holy Cow! Where on earth did you get those plans of the 1958 Continental Berline?

And how can I get a copy? I'm almost falling off my chair in shock.

Mark

My dad, Elmer Rohn, got them, he worked for Continental Division after being recruited from Fisher Body.

We showed them to Barry several years ago and finally got them over to him so he could get them coped to share with others.

my mom still has the original leather bound presentation book (cover):

IMG_0766.jpg

more info over at the mark II forum:

http://www.markiiforum.com

PM sent. However, I'm finding that this is a different car than the one Gordon B. called the Berline. Ford never called it that.

PM received and I will act on it tomorrow. BTW, according to the book

"Ford Design Department - Concept and Show Cars 1939-1961" by

Jim & Cheryl Ferrell, the Mark III in your plans bears a very strong

resemblance to the alternate proposal for Mark III Berline's styling (See

attached photos),although both the chosen design and the alternate

were very similar. Many, many thanks!

Mark Curatolo

post-33584-143138246738_thumb.jpg

post-33584-14313824675_thumb.jpg

Strong, yes, but not the same. The headlights in the picture above and in the sectional drawing set are the same size and the Berline does not have them. The Berlone is more slab-sided while the Mark III more closely follows the Mark II.