Frontend noise question

Guest jcc3inc

Guest jcc3inc

Good afternoon,

I just acquired a low mileage '93 Riviera that makes some noises when going left or right around a corner at some speed. Because the muffler is noisy, it is hard to separate noises. But it is apparent if you drive down the street and pull the steering wheel left, then right to try to hear the noise. The low miles of 51K would seem to preclude worn out front wheel bearings or bad CV joints, but I think it is coming from the front! So far I have been fixing other problems and haven't looked at the front end parts carefully.

None of my GM cars with front drive have had bearing or CV joint problems. Has anyone run into these parts being bad, and what symptoms did you have?

Thanks,

Jack C.

You need to be more specific about the noise - sqeal, clunk, whine, squeak. When it happens do you feel anything in the steering wheel ?

If a "clunk, clunk, clunk" on a very tight turn that is typical of CV joints that have dried out and can be caused by a torn boot.

I have run into several front wheel bearing (whine in turns - peaks at 45 mph), and strut bearings (mind-numbing squeak), and disintegrated anti-roll-bar bushings (clunk in turns) as well as alternator bearings (constant whine) and harmonic balancer rubber (clunks at idle).

Many are more age than miles related.

Guest jcc3inc

Hello,

I shoulda been more specific; it sounds to me like a bearing whine or growl. There are more things I need to do first, then I will investigate that.

Thanks for your comments,

Jack C.