tail light staying on and blinker not blinking BATTERY THEN GOES DEAD

my 90 convertible battery was dead when I went out a few days ago. WHY? This what I found:I found that the tail lights were on for some unkown reason. After investigating I also noted that my blinkers would not flash. I then opened my trunk and was playing with the trunk lock assembly. Then upon closing the trunk the tail lights went out. and all was fine. Then after driving a while the blinker again would not flash, then when parking and turning off the ignition i went to the back of the car and the tail lights where staying on again. Again I opened trunk and played wtih trunk latch, taillight again went out and all was OK again until I used the blinker again,

What do any of you think is wrong???? MAYBE A SHORT IN THE BLINKER CIRCUIT? HELP?

Failing blinker module could very well be the cause, but why would playing with the trunk latch have an effect?

Try to determine if it is the tail lights or the blinker lamps staying on. Aren't the taillights all across the back while just the outer 3 lamps on each side are dual filament bulbs for the blinkers? So are the lamps in the middle of the taillight assy on as well or just the outside 3 lamps on each side? Would indicate if it's a turn signal issue or a tail light issue. Something is grounding one of the circuits to get the lamps to turn on, but which set of lamps?

Melted or shorted wiring can do anything. It is just going to have to be physically traced.

where is the blinker module? Just went outside to put away car and the tail lights were on and so were the front blinker lights, probably the front lights are on whenever there is a problem I just did not notice. . I believe the tail lights are on only on the ends not all the way across, Again I opened the trunk played with the locking switch and lights went off after closing trunk. Oh yes the blinkers are not flashing just on when looking at the indicators on dash.

From earlier Padgett post: Dunno about '90 but on '88 the "turn/hazard module" is behind the left side of the instrument panel (next to steering column) and in front of the theft deterrent module. In the illustration it looks to be about four inches by two inches by an inch.

Another post: I noted that the module was located beside the hazard module. I turned on the hazard flashers. It started ticking away. I finally tracked it down. It is beside the hazard module held in place by a clip. The work area is extremely tight and was able to only get one hand in the area to remove and replace the module. It's a minor pain to do it but can be done with one hand. Be careful not to damage any other wiring due to the tightness of work area. The module is located much higher in the dash area than is described in the service manual.

ps: some things under the dash are very sharp. First time I tried my arm looked like it had been in a cat fight.

That said the problem sounds more like a trunk wiring issue.

Please check again..... in the rear, is it the running lights or the brake lights that are staying on? When you say the "blinkers" are not working.... does that mean right, left or both.

The reason for asking......there are numerous things that can be wrong but diagnosing the problem from 1000 miles away requires all the information available.

While you are checking things.... feel under the passanger seat... is it damp?

I'm not in Florida right nowI spend half my time up in North Carolina, If I do not get it fixed before my next trip, Padgett I will definately come see you. Even if it is fixed I will come just to meet you.

here are the problems.

1. both blinkers do not blink.

2. the emergency flasher does not flash.

3. the rear lights 3 on the outside on the right and left side of the tail light stay on and do not go out when blinker switch is turned off. AND the front blinker lights stay on.

4. The passenger side floor is not wet or moist at all.

5. I hear no clicking from either flasher both blinkers nor the emergency flasher.

6. I did about 3 months ago find that I had a leak in my trunk and the spare wheel was filled with about 2 inches of water, Which I fixed, dried, Pulled out all carpet and padding and put in house to dry, and then put in a drain in bottom of trunk. NO WATER IN TRUNK SINCE.

7. I had the same problem I am having now around that time but it then went away until a week ago.

8. I can get the lights to turn off only by opening trunk and playing with locking mechanism.

9. note that the lights do not go out when the car is turned off , they only go out by playing with trunk switch

10. HELP

Well let's start by assuming there is a short. At this point I'd get the lights on and then start pulling fuses until they go out. This would tell us what circuit the power is coming from. Then I'd look in the manual section 8A to find out where both come together and look there. I suspect it may be on the passenger side of the trunk by the relays under the tonneau.

Don't know how different a 90 vert is, but in the 89 FSM, there is no connection between the stop/turn lights and the truck release circuits. The lights are grounded at all times and only get voltage from fuse 6 in the fuse block when the turn hazard module sends it. The trunk key switch is powered at all times and activates the release relay as does the keyless entry and the glove box remote trunk release switch. which then supplies power to operate the solenoid. They are grounded to different ground blocks in an 89 also.

Power to the trunk switches comes thru fuse 2. Pull that fuse and see if lights go out. If they do you have a short probably between the orange power wire to the truck key switch and the yellow and/or dark green wires that supply power to the stop/turn lights. Check and see if the hazard/ turn signals work now.

Otherwise the turn hazard module is the most likely culprit. And since the left and right side stop/turn lamps have different power supply wires, I'm putting my money on the turn hazard module.

90 Convertible is wired very differently from a coupe to accomodate the interlock between the trunk release and the tonneau release (both are electric and only one can open at a time). This all comes together at a rear relay center just in front of the passenger side wheel well.

Pulling fuse 2 first is a good idea, we need to know which circuit the power is coming from.

mc reatta, Is the turn hazard module the Flasher? if so where is it located? I allready bought one.

The car was dead again today when I tried to start it. so will try to pull #2 fuse to see if the light goes out tomarro after I fully charge battery again. I will then put on blinker and look for lights. It now has the 3rd light in tail light from each side that is staying on, agin by playing with trunk switch it went out. . I think this is getting worse, I tried to turn head lights on and now tail lights do not go on at all. Could this problem be the light switch? help

This is a complicated problem and I would break it down into manageable parts. Start with the high stop light staying on. Once you correct that problem the others may go away. The FSM shows one wire turning on both the lights inside it. There is no bulb just for the left or right side. The light is powered directly from the brake pedal switch, but it is not all that simple because the FSM shows a couple of capacitors in that circuit. I have to admit, at this point I don't know what purpose the capacitors serve. I will have to study the FSM more to try for figure it out. Maybe someone with a 90 model will know.

From what I see right now the brake light switch is the likely suspect in this mystery. That is what I would be checking closely.

Dave, turn/ hazard module is what I would call the flasher. It controls the turn signals and hazard flashers. It also receives a signal from the brake switch to know if both the brake lights and turn signal lights want to be on at the same time, and maintains the turn signal on the one side and lets the other indicate braking as they both use the same filament in the 3 outer dual filament bulbs in the taillight assy. Posted what I could about the location in a 90 earlier in this thread. Under dash by steering column somewhere.

It is not the module that produces the chime however. That is a separate module. If your lucky, turning the hazard lights on or the turn signal will get the relays in the module clicking and you can trace the sound.

Waiting the results of pulling fuse #2 to see if we can determine a short is probable involved rather than the module.

Craig, not sure when you jumped in. Should probably start a new thread.

There is no connection between the brake lights and the headlight switch.

Tails and twilight are controlled through this switch, so that may be source of part of your problem.

If your brake lights aren't working as well, check the adjustment of the switch by the brake pedal first.

• 3 months later...

I finally found the answer to this problem. ALL IT WAS WAS A LOOSE GROUND WIRE in the tunk just tightened the screw and all is welll it is located in the trunk just below the latch not on the trunk lid but in the trunk itself just under the trunk carpeting.