Why doesn't my driver seat work???

89tc

I have an 89 TC and none of the electrics on the driver seat work. The switches work fine, the passenger seat works great, the fuse in the fuse block is good too. I checked the power leads to the switch and it's not getting juice. Would anybody know if there could be a secondary fuse for each individual seat? I would think that with one fuse in the fuse block, they would either both work or both not work. :confused:

Guest My TC Toy

Run along the wiring to the drivers seat and check the connectors. Sounds like a commecter has come apart. Also check the two ground bolts behind the left and right cowl trim.

Good luck.

Bob

Hi,

thanks for replying, but i did unplug the power leads under the seat and tested them with a circuit tester light and then tried the switches and wham-o, no power. So i followed those leads backward toward the switches, and it looks like they go into a main trunkline harness. Because of that, I was thinking that there couldn't be any other plug connections between the seat plugs and the switches, but i guess there must be, somewhere.....

By the way, do you know if there's only one power lead (per seat) to the switch assembly? I see two thick red wires to each switch assembly, not one.

Guest My TC Toy

I believe there is only one power source to the seats. Don't forget the grounds! I think the main power passes through the main firewall harness, in front of the driver, however this is probably not the culprit because the passenger seat works. I am not certain of the cross connection at the switches in the centre arm rest between the two front seats. It would be worthwhile to check this out. Although this is not the simplest job in the world.

Did you check for power at each set of switches????

Good luck!

Guest mtworkshop

Both seats have the same power source. The heavy red wire on each switch supplies power. The heavy black goes to ground somewhere in never never land. If you have power to one seat you probably have power to both. If you disconnected the switches or pulled up the console you will likely find the connector biscuit under the switches damaged. They are very delicate and fall apart easily. If you can get a pair of switches with wires and connectors attached - then you can fill the back side of the connector block with epoxy for reenforcement and replace the switch assemblies in one go using plastic sleeves and epoxy to replace the broken screw mounts for the switches and quick connectors to attach the new switches in the system. Lots of luck.

Mike

Thanks for replying guys. Funny, I tested both switch assemblies on the working seat and both switch assemblies looked/worked great. Then i unplugged the hot wire and ground from the working passenger seat and plugged them into the driver seat switch assembly, and bango, the driver seat worked like a champ. So I'm thinking that you're all right, the single power source leads (and single seat fuse) are good, so it may be the ground wire(s) not being connected. I'll check them out asap....