1985 Digital Dash Removal

Guest hammerala

Guest hammerala

I have recently purchased a 1985 Riviera convertible and the dash is digital and does not show anything, no fuel, no speedometer, nothing. It blows a fuse as soon as you turn the key on. I need to take the digital dash out so I can unplug it as part of my trouble shooting. How do I get it apart. I don't want to break anything. Thanks.

Guest TwoDoorBuickMan

I have a 1986 Regal with a Digital Dash that is starting to give some problems. I recovered a standard dash cluster from a Regal at the salvage yard. Does anyone know if the satndard dash is an easy replacement for the Digital Dash? It looks identical to the dash in my 1984 Riviera. Any help will be appreciated!

First in order to get the speedo out your gonna have to disconnect the cable in the back by first pushing the cable in from the engine compartment. I could not get my out recently without taking the lower IP lip off, then lowering the steering column. Sure makes removing and replacing much easier with the lower lip off and column out of your way. I will say I have removed many speedos without doing these two things, but they were always parts cars and I didn't car if I scratched or messed up anything and I did a lot of prying. The speedo might interchange if you could verify the wiring was correct in a service manual.

Lighting up the speedo Restoring Rivieras

Edited by sosuzguy (see edit history)

Just for future searchers on this topic, GM Digital dashes of this vintage used different sensors and wiring than the analog dashes. Also speedo cables were used on the analog dashes only.

Not to say that one couldn't convert one way or the other, but it's going to be pretty involved.

It's been a while since I took a Digital dash out of one of my 5 Riv's but I could of sworn they both had a speedo cable and a speed sensor regardless of analog or digital.I would have to check on the back of a spare DD in the garage. The fuel sending unit is different for digital fuel gauge for sure

Edited by sosuzguy (see edit history)