54 Roadmaster Springs replacement

stealthbob

Kanter has them for 200 a pair....its the shipping and crazy duty fees that I'm not happy about. I'm replacing all 4 and I'm from North of the great Canuckistan wall. :(

I think I once read that there is an adequate interchange with some that I should be able to get at my local NAPA?

It begs the question however...how much of a compromise is this "Interchange" and how reliable is the Kanter product being the OEM standard anyways?

I want to keep original as possible...so ride hight and feel needs to be the same but who says that what is offered by resellers is OEM anyways?

Guest 53Nailhead

Bob

Most of the Ottawa car guys have their stuff shipped to the Ogdensburg NY UPS Store on Ford Street just across the border. Only about a 30 min. cruise from here. When ya cross back just claim what ya have, the value & pay the GST. Both custom services at the bridge are used to these crossing & we've never had any problems.

AND the Canadian $$$ pretty strong.

Kanata Cruise Nite starts May 4....hope to see ya out one nite :D

Les

Hey thanks for the heads up on May 4th...you there? It would be nice to finally meet you after all this....just look for the BIG GUY and you will find me as I won't have my '54 76R out by then. I will keep an eye out for a nice 53 right? ;)

The thing about the springs is that they are heavy and shipping will be expensive...are the Kanter springs worth all the extra to get "original"? Are they actually better than something I could get locally?

Guest 53Nailhead

If the weathers good some of us may get a head start & show up next Tuesday. 'Bout 6 of the boys showed up last nite with their Buicks & Chevys:cool:

Don't know much about the Kanter's springs vs. any others. I'm sure someone on here has some experience they'll share....

Hey thanks for the heads up on May 4th...you there? It would be nice to finally meet you after all this....just look for the BIG GUY and you will find me as I won't have my '54 76R out by then. I will keep an eye out for a nice 53 right? ;)

The thing about the springs is that they are heavy and shipping will be expensive...are the Kanter springs worth all the extra to get "original"? Are they actually better than something I could get locally?

You should realize that Kanter's springs are NOT original or OEM or NOS. They are procured from the same sources you might have access to and are marked up appreciatively to pay for their trouble................ Mr. Moderator.This is in no way a negative post demeaning Kanter's products or service. In the past I've had no problem with either. I'm mearly pointing out that a like product may be found less expensively if one is willing to make the effort. ..................Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)

You see that was my assumption...like many of our "vintage" parts, they all lead back to one manufacture if a repro and an assortment of "interchanges" if not. Is the repro more correct than the interchange or are they just what they are....... correct or just one that is thought to be correct?

Kanter et al provide a great service by collecting all the parts one needs for a project, bundle it all into one catalogue all at one place...definitely a convenience to be had so my beef is not with them.

I just don't want to pay for all the hassle to buy, ship/import, and pay for duty for something that if correctly sourced could have been purchased from my local shop all the while being on the same "correctness" level as the "vintage" parts places provide.

Edited by stealthbob (see edit history)

Most repro parts are not "as original". Most are a compromise between what is available and will work OK. Even parts that are remanufactured often have to be "massaged" to fit or function as intended. Case in point are the front springs for your car. The top coil is supposed to be wound to touch the next lower coil and then the top ground flat. That's so it will seat flat and not bow as it compresses. The repro springs you will get, even from the vendor that says they have all the OEM drawings and are the same as OEM, will not be ground flat. My advice is to check with your local spring shops. My local dug up a listing and specs for my 56 Chrysler rears and sourced a supplier for half of what the "catalog" vendors wanted. That's what the catalog guys do, then add about a 100% mark up for their efforts. It's legal and it's ethical because it saves costomers the effort. Your choice............Bob

I purchased rear springs for my 56 from NAPA, after returning a set I got from a catalog. I was able to order them by spec, which allowed me to get a heavier diameter, the same number of turns ( 7 I believe) and pigtailed ends for bolting them in place. Ages ago (1975) I had the fronts replaced with a heavy duty spring and needed the heavier rear springs to level the car. While I like an original car too, I think my 56 rides pretty well with the heavier springs. Much less body roll