Harmonic Balancer Removal question

Roadster90

I think I read on previous posts that the 90 was tapered and required a puller. Someone else will pipe in. My 88 was like Ronnie said, exactly.

All of the Reatta balancers are supposed to slip off. I have had some good ones on parts cars though that I had to leave on the car when it went to the crusher because even after getting the bolt out, the balancer would not slip off. There is no place to attach a puller.

There are several ways of breaking the bolt loose but I have found removing the pan under the flywheel and then clamping on some vise grips to hold the flywheel from turning works the best.

Hey Ronnie,

A friend and I used your site and the short film on removing the bolt recently (about 3 months ago) when we replaced the water pump, sealed the front cover, sealed the intake, etc and so on. I think you know how I feel about the Journal.....Your site/The Journal is INVAULABLE Sir - thank you :).

Nic

Edited by nic walker
spelling - again :) (see edit history)

Guest Bobby Valines

When I changed my harmonic balancer I followed the instructions on Ronnie's site. Sure made it easy. Just make sure that the fins on the balancer is still lined up with the crank sensor. You might have to change the sensor and the bracket to align it, because the bracket may be corroded so it wont slide to align.

Guest jcc3inc

Sir,

On my '91 I had to use a puller; same with our '97 LeSabre. I made one from aluminum plate and (3) metric bolts. I think the '91 and later engines were made like this.

Regards,

Jack C.