Temperature Gauge

Guest jmiller

Guest jmiller

Doesn't work, I ohmned the sending unit and it seemed to check out ok. Looked at the gauge unit while I had cluster out. Couldn't find anything obvious. Had power to pin B per manual. Any suggestions on what to do?

Guest My TC Toy

Temp gauge problems are almost always the sending unit. Did you try grounding the wire on the sending unit? If you do the guage should read full temperature. If this is the case the sending unit is bad.

Guest jmiller

I'm not sure what you mean ground the wire on the sending unit. Mine has a moisture resistant plug in so I can't access the wires when its plugged in. When I unplug the wires I have 5+v on one side and .24v on other side. I have tried grounding both of these and putting them together-- nothing. I did notice when I turn on the key I get a tiny movement of the gauge towards cool.

Guest My TC Toy

The normal Chrysler sensor I am familiar with is a single connector. Are you sure it is the temperature sensor that you have two wires on. What engine and year are you having the problem on?

Guest StudeDude 01

Jeff----since you have a '91 V-6, there have a temp sending unit and a temp sensor unit. The sending unit for the gauge is a single wire on 1 side of the thermostat housing; the temp sensor is a two wire connector on the other side of the thermostat housing. You need to check the single wire connector or sending unit.

Guest jmiller

I found the drawing in the manual that shows the sensor and the sending unit. I now feel slightly dumb. I've been checking the coolant sensor. What does it do? provide info to the computer or just tell you coolant is low

Guest StudeDude 01

The sensor is tied into the computer. If you unplug it and start the car, the Check Engine light should stay on and the engine may not run up to snuff. The sender is probably the culprit re: the gauge, unless the connector that plugs into it is corroded or dirty. Give it a cleaning (the top of the sender too) before you replace it. Good luck and have fun.