'63 Riviera hood ornament/emblem confusion

Guest rockdoctor54

Guest rockdoctor54

2 questions... a) does the '63 Riviera have a hood ornament, a flat hood emblem, or both? B) where can I find said hood ornament, flat hood emblem, or both?

The 63 uses a flat hood ornament with a small round black plastic emblem with "Riviera" in chrome script. It is unique to the 63, all later years used a standup ornament and switched to the large "R" inside an oval style. Not sure where you can find them or if they are reproduced.

This thread reminds me of my pride in owning a 64 decades ago, and my best friend listening to me crow about no trishields, no BUICK nomenclature, a pure, true Riviera.

Until, that is, when he challenged me to know where he saw BUICK on my 64...

Give up?

I did.

The radio pushbuttons.......I was crushed!!

Dale

• 2 weeks later...

When replacing the '63 emblem, be very careful on how you glue it in. I was very disappointed when the $29 emblem was ruined by the glue they said to use from CARS. Yeah, I probably interpreted the "use trim adhesive" somehow wrong, but I selected 3M Trim Adhesive (not the foam pad, but the glue). This glue ate through the black on the edge causing the edge to turn clear. Maybe, someone can tell me what I did wrong? I'm not blaming CARS, but I probably didn't ask enough questions before I rushed into it.

Thanks!

Ed, I appreciate the info. I don't recall seeing any chrome on my repo, just black plastic with an inlaid color tri-shield. Thinking about my other repo purchase from CARS that I had much difficulty with, seems the folks who bought the same items years ago got different stuff then they are producing today. Hmmm.... cost cutting??

• 3 years later...
Guest 1963 Riviera

Hi All...

I recently tracked down a 63 Hood Emblem on OPGI ($52.85) only to find out it is on back order after I placed the order. Emailed them 36 hours ago to enquire about the estimate time,..have not heard back yet. BTW, CARS do not have them.

Nick.

That part has been on back order from CARS for three years. Each time, I wait the requested 6 months and call them back. Lately they act annoyed that I'm asking again. IMHO maybe they shouldn't continue to feature it in their catalog if it's gonna be backordered for a lifetime. So, I got inventive: I pulled a tri-shield emblem image off the internet as a jpeg file. Next I emailed it to an AlphaGraphics. They sized it to to correct dimension, which coincidentally is the same OD size as a dime. Then they printed it on vinyl so it's waterproof and die-cut it to size. They also covered it with a thick, clear vinyl laminate so it looks deeper. Cost just under $25. Looks really good and will likely serve me well until 2020 when CARs finally gets their backorder situation resolved. PRL

Guest 1963 Riviera
That part has been on back order from CARS for three years. Each time, I wait the requested 6 months and call them back. Lately they act annoyed that I'm asking again. IMHO maybe they shouldn't continue to feature it in their catalog if it's gonna be backordered for a lifetime. So, I got inventive: I pulled a tri-shield emblem image off the internet as a jpeg file. Next I emailed it to an AlphaGraphics. They sized it to to correct dimension, which coincidentally is the same OD size as a dime. Then they printed it on vinyl so it's waterproof and die-cut it to size. They also covered it with a thick, clear vinyl laminate so it looks deeper. Cost just under $25. Looks really good and will likely serve me well until 2020 when CARs finally gets their backorder situation resolved. PRL

WOW that was inventive, I will use that as a back up plan....I received a reply that they will have it 1st April (no April fools day snickers please) We will see...keep you posted.

Nick

Need some advice on how to remove the original tri shield and transfer it to a new "spear". "Tho my car is almost totally unmolested, PO had some goofy idea to cut a piece out of spear behind logo and install a Lincoln standup hood emblem (the cross) with a spring attachment. At least it wasn't a Mercedes. I got a new spear but I'll need to transfer the tri shield emblem. Helpful info on how to detach emblem

from original and reattach to new is appreciated. Originally were they glued? I sure don't want to destroy it in removal. Tnx. Dale

I used "Scotch Outdoor" double sided tape as a backing. Cut it to size and dropped it it. It looks good but it's not permanent . Maybe a little flatter than the factory option. It's a stop gap measure really. I'll be calling CARS in April. PRL

Guest CARS, Inc.

The real story.

My name is Jeff Machusak and I am the general manager at CARS, Inc.

We are the producer of the 1963 Riviera hood emblem.

At the present time we are having great difficulty with getting the 1963 Riviera hood emblem reproduced. And suffice it to say that we do not have a date for availability. We are actively working on this item and will inform the ROA as soon as these are back in stock. We apologize for this situation.

• 5 years later...
On 3/14/2014 at 6:04 AM, CARS- Inc. said:

The real story.

My name is Jeff Machusak and I am the general manager at CARS, Inc.

We are the producer of the 1963 Riviera hood emblem.

At the present time we are having great difficulty with getting the 1963 Riviera hood emblem reproduced. And suffice it to say that we do not have a date for availability. We are actively working on this item and will inform the ROA as soon as these are back in stock. We apologize for this situation.

It's 2020 and I just ordered hood emblem from CARS before reading this. Are you seriously still out of stock because you wrote to the community you would keep us updated when they become available but last post was March 2014???

9 hours ago, Castro63 said:

It's 2020 and I just ordered hood emblem from CARS before reading this. Are you seriously still out of stock because you wrote to the community you would keep us updated when they become available but last post was March 2014???

That was 6 years ago. I have dealt with Jeff personally and he is a great guy and a friend to Riviera owners. He is a busy guy and I sure it was just an oversight that he did not update this post. I bought one of these just a couple of months ago from CARS. No problems getting it. They have them listed on e-bay right now.

Bill

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1963-Buick-Riviera-Tri-Shield-Hood-Emblem-OEM-1360069/182044982842?fits=Year%3A1963|Model%3ARiviera&epid=655372514&hash=item2a62b9fe3a:g:d3QAAOSwo0JWPzbn

• 4 months later...

Thought about trying that one, once. Then I thought again.  I grew up in the country - where every girl's dad had a double barrel 12 gauge, and they were hunters and knew how to shoot moving targets. However at an out of town basketball game I did ask a girl at a concession stand for a lamb sandwich.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Turbinator said:

I have a customer request I make the 63 hood emblem in the black background silver Tri shield configuration. The customer votes with their dollars so I give them what they want. 
Turbinator

Do you mean like this? I believe this is a prototype, found in the top desk drawer of a Zone manager I`m told....For sale, if you are interested send me a PM,

Tom

20181023_152157.jpg

20181023_152243.jpg

20181023_152651.jpg

20181023_152612.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 year later...