'53 door adjustment issue

OK, I've got a weird one...my driver's door is past the range of adjustment (I've run out of adjusting room on the hinge) and won't line up high enough in the back without bringing the top too far forward. The hinges aren't worn and the car doesn't seem like it's been in any wrecks or anything. Anyway, has anybody opened up the adjustment holes on the hinges a bit? I'm guessing the holes are 3/8"...I'm thinking of opening them up to 7/16" to give myself the room I need. The hinge is pretty substantial, so I'm pretty secure about doing this, but any tips/pointers/reinforcements would be nice. Thanks!

OK, so I'm not so stupid...the A-pillar hinge adjustments are all the way up, and the door still lines up low. It's strange, nothing is obviously wrong or bent. Anyway, I'm back to drilling the hinge straps adjustment holes up to 7/16"...wish me luck!

For anybody who's interested, I drilled the hinge strap adjustment holes to 7/16" and got the door gaps nearly even all the way around. It has been low forever; it had worn out the striker when I bought it! Now that it's adjusted right, it's straddling the unworn part of the striker, so I may need to get a new striker...

The fit and finish on most 50's era cars suck. they were just slapped together and body fit was a hit and miss affair. Often, tweaking and modifying is the only way to get something to fit correctly. It's also possible that your body mounts are deteriorated or that the body was mounted poorly from the factory. You do what you gotta do to fix it............Bob