Sign in to follow this  
TYLERJAC

How to remove ignition switch 33 Chevy

Hello Fellow Antique Car Owners. I'm new to this forum and have a question:

I am having trouble removing the bezel that holds the ignition key switch in the dash panel of my 1933 Chevy Master Eagle Sedan. I see 2 holes on the side of the bezel, but can't figure out what to use to loosen/remove. I tried a Allen head wrench, but I don't think that is what is in there ( Allen head screw ). The reason I want to remove is the switch is stuck in the on position. ( The switch is of the type where you push and turn the key, it locks cylinder in the in position ( which energizes the system ) and then you start vehicle by pressing the accelerator pedal .

Anyone with knowledge and can help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Somewhere in the past I had a spanner that was made just for removing GM ingition locks. Might try searching ebay to see if you get a hit.

I don't know about a lock as old as the 33 but later (40s 50s) GMs have a little hole in the lock cylinder cover next towhere you insert the key. With the key in the lock cylinder you could stick a wire like a paper clip into the hole and push in. You could then extract the lock cylinder with the key while pushing in on the wire. If yours is constructed in this manner you can pull out the cylinder and repair or replace it.

Edited by Bob Call (see edit history)

If it is like the switch in my '36 Chevy truck, that bezel-ring with the two holes in the edge is a nut; the hole accepts the pin or lug of a spanner, and unscrews counter-clockwise (lefty-loosey).

You might try grabbing it with a pair of channel-locks using a piece of inner-tube for padding and turning it off with that... DON'T SQUEEZE TOO HARD ! .

There are no set-screws in those little holes.

If you have an "Electro-Lock Pop-out Switch", there may be different proceedure. Suggest you try this question down at the Chevy Forum further down the menu or on the VCCA Chat Forum... Electro-Lock Switches are delicate due to their use of early pot-metal, and you may get some advice that will save you a lot of grief.

Good luck !

All 1933 Chevrolets masters use an Electrolock, but the early cars used the Plunger (popout) style while the later cars used the swival style lock assembly.

Interestingly enough the 1929-34 chevrolet parts manual only lists the swival style as a complete assembly for all 1933s, but under individual parts it lists both the Plunger (popout) and swivel style Barrel Assemblies and other associated parts. This agrees with an article in the VCCA Generator & Distributor in the mid 1970s.

Not sure what your problem is, but you can totally disassemble it if needed. There are two tabs on the back side of the lock assembly that can be gently spread apart with a screw driver then the assembly will come completely apart. At that point you can even replace the cloth cover wire if needed.

I removed the ignition from my 1933 around 35 years ago and as I recall I bent a piece of heavy coat hanger wire into a U shape with the last 1/4 inch of the ends bent toward each other to remove the threaded bezel.

Bob Beers

AACA, VCCA, VTR, TRA, CPTC

1933 Chevrolet

1962 Triumph TR4

1984 BMW 633 CSi

Edited by Vila (see edit history)

You might also watch on eBay for a "Key to Performance" dealer give away. This is a brass covered; looks like a 3" long key ; with feeler gauge, electrolock wrench and various other tools. This is an interesting piece and very useful.

Try a search under 1930 Chevrolet.