1957 Thunderbird Data Plate Decode

I know Corvettes, but am new to Thunderbirds, and this data tag has me stumped. Problem is, I don't see any data tags online that look like it.

I can figure out a few things from it:

D7FH168067=VIN

XH=Pleated Flame Vinyl

VE=Flame Red exterior w/Colonial White hdtp

However, the '40' and the '15M240139P' remain a mystery as I can't find anything online with even similar codes for a Thunderbird. Is this a bogus trim tag?

Any help would be appreciated!

post-67313-143138195996_thumb.jpg

I know Corvettes, but am new to Thunderbirds, and this data tag has me stumped. Problem is, I don't see any data tags online that look like it.

Any help would be appreciated!

Hello buyavette, it looks like you have an original tag but it has been sanded or stripped and some information has been removed.

Ford body tags had a black field printed on them that labeled the stamped codes. You can buy a decal to replace this from most Tbird parts houses fro a buck or two. Try www.npdlink.com for starters and pull up their Tbird catalog, the decal is on page 104.

The 40 is the model number for a Tbird, you found color and trim. The 15M is probably the build date (Dec 15, 1956) and the 240139P is an unspecifed "production code", someone in the Tbird club can probably tell you more at www.ctci.org . Good luck, Todd

Hello buyavette, it looks like you have an original tag but it has been sanded or stripped and some information has been removed.

Ford body tags had a black field printed on them that labeled the stamped codes. You can buy a decal to replace this from most Tbird parts houses fro a buck or two. Try www.npdlink.com for starters and pull up their Tbird catalog, the decal is on page 104.

The 40 is the model number for a Tbird, you found color and trim. The 15M is probably the build date (Dec 15, 1956) and the 240139P is an unspecifed "production code", someone in the Tbird club can probably tell you more at www.ctci.org . Good luck, Todd

Wow, well that explains everything! Didn't think there would be an actual printed part on the tag, but that makes perfect sense. Thanks for the info Todd!

The following is from Dave Tulowitzky, who has a registry of data place information for the early Thunderbirds.

The car was shipped to the Jacksonville sales district. All Florida Thunderbirds went through Jacksonville. This Thunderbird was the 139th Thunderbird shipped to Jacksonville for the 1957 model year. The last entry after the sales district number on most 1957 models the letter P appeared. This is believed to indicate that the car was regular production and not special ordered for an individual.

The rest of the information is as was related in the previous email. It sounds like a neat car. I hope that it is in good shape.

Regards,

The following is from Dave Tulowitzky, who has a registry of data place information for the early Thunderbirds.

The car was shipped to the Jacksonville sales district. All Florida Thunderbirds went through Jacksonville. This Thunderbird was the 139th Thunderbird shipped to Jacksonville for the 1957 model year. The last entry after the sales district number on most 1957 models the letter P appeared. This is believed to indicate that the car was regular production and not special ordered for an individual.

The rest of the information is as was related in the previous email. It sounds like a neat car. I hope that it is in good shape.

Regards,

This is wonderful information, and will certainly add to the history that we already have for the car. Much appreciated!

I can say that this car is just about a class 1 as far as condition goes. Recent body-off rotisserie nut and bolt restoration, there's not a part on it that's not new or refurbished, and the body is straight as an arrow. Also it doesn't hurt that the car is now owned by the son of the original owner, who is consigning the car with us, so even more history to the car there. I'll throw a link in here to photos once we get it up on the website.

Thanks again guys!