Traco Down Draft Intakes

Anyone have information on Traco down draft intakes? I was given a set along with some heads for a 300 (and I think a 215) and wondering if anyone has seen this type of set-up? Looks like the intakes would each take 2 48mm weber carbs.

If Webers were involved, that would mainly be "road race only" stuff. Seems like Traco was an engine builder that tended to specialize in closed-course road race engines. They also built some of their own stuff because it was not available anywhere else. Mid-to-late 1960s timeframe.

If the heads might fit a 215 V-8, you might need to check the casting numbers to see if they might be for the Buick or Olds versions of the 215 V-8. Not sure about interchangeability wit the later 300 V-8 engines, though.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

• 1 year later...
Guest northpacific

These were used by the competition department of British Leyland to campaign 2 or 3 racing versions of the Rover P6B in the late 60's/early 70's + used 48 IDA Webers; bored and stroked to 4.3 liters, 365 hp + used the BOP 215 as a base; the Buick version of which Rover had licensed from GM for their cars

At least one of the TRACO V8 cars still exists in Australia ( pictured ) I have a set of New Zealand made Harcourt Weber manifolds which are near identical to the TRACO design you have + also for the Buick/Olds/Pontiac/Rover 215.

TRACO were based in California and are still in business tho' not under original management, or at their original address

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2010/03/15/traco-engineering-and-thunder-alley/comment-page-1/

http://www.tra-coengines.com/engines.html

That TRACO manifold was never available to the general public; everything TRACO did back then was for factory race teams, as NTX5467 has suggested

The later Buick 300 aluminum heads are a common swap to the earlier 215 blocks, have bigger valves than the 215 + bolt straight on; Olds heads will only work with an Olds block however

There was even a British Morgan built using the TRACO/Weber/Olds V8 setup for LeMans; it never competed but the car is here:

There were also Chaparrals and at least one Formula 1 car that used this setup back in the day

Those manifolds with Webers are "streetable" but run best on bored/stroked BOP 215s of about 5 liters; there are companies make throttle bodies now that are Weber IDA clones, so those manifolds would also make the basis for a nice injection setup ( ! )

A very Rare part, must have an interesting history

Camel%20Rover_1_Jim%20Smith_Mallala%20SA%20April_1974.jpg

Have fun!

RT

Edited by northpacific (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

Wow, thanks for the info. I got them from my wifes cousins husband (that's a mouth full).... His family has been into Jeep racing for a long time and I suspect his Dad or uncle picked them up somewhere years ago. I know they liked to run Buick engines (215, 300's) in their Jeeps. Not sure what I will do with them, maybe hang em on the wall till I figure it out.

Jim

Edited by Jim Anselmo (see edit history)

• 10 years later...

Traco down draft inlet manifold wanted the same as the ones in the  picture posted by Jim Anselmo  contact me  Les Wright Bayview Sydney  Australia 2104 leswrigh@bigpond.net.au