Parking cars at hotel - am I paranoid?

lancemb

Where are you planning to leave it? Are you talking about going to Ames? You will not likely have an overnight coming from Illinois. Some of the bigger hotels have some degree of outside security, so I would check with the places you are staying

There have been instances of several 60s Olds going missing about a year or two ago, as I recall.

Make sure the hotel has a full night manager and ask to park by the lobby entrance - that usually works for me.

John

John

I wouldn't say it is paranoid seeing as it is a new experience. I've been driving and parking cars around hotels for about 5 years now and haven't had any issues. Trying to park in a high visibility location should give some piece of mind. The Club and / or brake locks could give some peace of mind. Don't leave anything in the car that would invite a crime of opportunity.

I still worry a bit, depending on where I am, but about all you can do is your due diligence and hopefully all will work out well. I am probably more concerned about scratches from gawkers since some people aren't very careful.

Guest my3buicks

Hi have always tried to take some precautions when parking overnight when away from home in one of my cars - most of the things are just good common sense - parking under a light or a very well lighted area - try to stay away from remote area's of the lot, try to stay in areas that are a little busier and where there will be more "eyes". While not foolproof anymore, I always put my club on, lock the doors, and cover the car including the under chassis cable lock for the cover. I usually also take in the distributor wire also. If you have a column ignition car, a good ignition lock guard is a great tool also. Just try to use common sense.

If you have issues about breakins, as was said, don't leave anything visible. If you are worried about loosing the entire car, I would remove a key component from the engine, like the wire going from the coil to the distributor.

Most car thieves (kids) have never even seen a distributor, so they won't know what is missing, even if they can figure out how to open the hood.

Joe

I have never had a problems at a hotel but was close one time. A bunch of drunken teenagers came zipping through the parking lot, looking at cars and lost control. SLammed into 3 or 4 cars before the driver was forcibly removed from the car. It could have been ugly but by that time the police had arrived.

They did damage to 10 different cars by the time it was all done and totally trashed 3 or 4 to the point where they could not drive anymore.

I am more worried about this kind of incident then theft, though I do worry about a truck and trailer.

I wouldn't say you were paranoid, just cautious. I did park outside once, it was at an event, they had security patrols. I locked her up, covered it made sure there was nothing of value inside. My car has a home made kill switch, I am the only one who knows the location. If they really want it, they will get it, just make it as rough as possible. Also, I took the battery out and put it in the trunk.

While not foolproof anymore, I always put my club on, lock the doors, and cover the car including the under chassis cable lock for the cover. I usually also take in the distributor wire also. If you have a column ignition car, a good ignition lock guard is a great tool also. Just try to use common sense.

I'd add two other things. When leaving my car outside in an untrusted place I'd remove the wheel covers and either take them inside for the night or lock them in the trunk. Also I'd lower the radio antenna as far as possible.

Guest cardinal905

You are not paranoid, I have been to several National events and was shocked that people could leave their high dollar #2 cars parked right in front of their room with regular drivers able to come and go next to them anytime. Hell, I was paranoid for a beautiful black flat top Lesabre parked at Flint two years ago. Try to park on the end and get a freind (or car guy) to park next to you in addition to the great tips above.

Lancemb, are you specifically concerned about the overnights at the National Meet in Ames? Generally speaking, there is overnight security for the cars at the Buick Nationals.

Perhaps one of the individuals organizing the meet in Ames can address this issue.

I personally have never had an issue in well over 10 years of attending events. A possible solution you may want to explore is a baby monitor. They aren't very expensive and if you turn the volume way up, it should wake you if you have a break-in. Look for one that has the largest broadcast distance.

At most venues that are BCA events that I have been to, the event hosts do provide security at the host hotels.

In Flint a couple of years ago, security was almost too tight. I was yelled at to get off of the showfield at around 7 pm. I was just wandering around looking at cars, taking pictures when most of the cars had their hoods and doors closed (which I prefer). I understood the message, but the messenger was a bit harsh. :o

I have never had any issues on any overnight parking in hotels, but I do try to park where a baby-toting, SUV-driving, distracted person can bash the side of my car with their door. My insurance will cover anything else.

The way I see it, you can't ever guarantee anything. As was mentioned, if they really want the car they will find a way to get it, so make sure you have enough insurance that you can walk away from the scene if it happens. I always try to remember that it's just a car. And unless it's fatal, nothing is permanent.

Now, if your with any friends, I try to park in a corner with their car blocking mine in. But most often I just park my car as close to my room as possible, and hope it's all there in the AM.

One last thing, unless you are at an organized meet, chances are no one will even know your car is where you leave it. I doubt many thieves are patrolling lots in search of a classic car. I'm sure they would rather have something guaranteed marketable.

Another thing to keep in mind, especially if you aren't using a car cover is to ask if the sprinkler system is going to run.

I parked in Columbus a few years ago for the Arthritis Classic and came out in the morning to thousands of hard water spots that were not easy to remove. :)

I also recommend removing the distributor-coil wire. Easiest anti-theft out there.

Guest 4buick7

I've been attending car shows for almost 40 years and have had only one minor incident when parking overnight at hotels. At the first overnight show I attended, a drunk backed into my car when leaving the hotel bar. Luckily for me my car was completely unrestored at the time and the damage was minor. Also, he wasn't too drunk to understand his situation and he paid off like a slot machine.

Most shows I've attended have some sort of security for the cars. I feel that total theft is unlikely; you are far more apt to incur damage from the curious onlooker or the inconsiderate person parked next to you. A car cover is really worth the investment as it will hide the car from the curious and help protect your car from door dings.

As I mentioned, total theft seems unlikely but any professional crook can probably figure out a way to get your car if they really want it. The young joyrider won't know how to open your hood or start your car even if they can get inside. On several occasions, I've had fun with young parking valets by turning the engine off, setting the ignition to unlock and pocketing the key. Within about three steps away I'll hear "hey mister,how to you start this car." I always end up parking it myself usually right in front and locking it up. If they're under 50, they're not familiar with 'three on the tree" , a locking ignition and have no idea the starter is under the accelerator.

I've found that most people who attend car shows are respectful of the car and the contents. At the daily shows I've always kept the car unlocked, windows rolled down and left cameras, goodie bags, etc. easily within reach of anyone and have never lost a thing.

Sid Munger

BCA #2257

1947 Buick Estate Wagon

The only event I know of cars being stolen from the host hotels was at last year's Hurst/Olds national meet which was in Indianapolis last August. Four Hurst/Olds vehicles were stolen from the hotel parking lot - 1 1979 Hurst/Olds (recovered, stripped), 2-1983 Hursts, and an 84. In each case, it took less than 1 minute to get into the car, bust the ignition, and get in. I was there with my parents (their car was not one of the ones taken) and it was one of the most sickening feelings ever in my life.

Brian

If your refering to the Ames show, I wouldnt worry too much about it. Its Iowa afterall. I am sure all of the major hotels will have security to let patrons feel safer. It will be a big deal for the town of Ames, and they will do thier best to assure a safe and pleasant stay

I drove my 75 convertible to the office today, and the keys are still in it out in the parking lot. My office manager grew up outside of Chicago, and still locks her car and sets the alarm before coming into the building, just a force of habit for her.

I have never had a problem here with theft or damage

Hello, thanks for all of the input. Yes, I was thinking specifically of the Ames meet. I would like to come in a day or two early and possibly stay the night after the show. Is there security there for all of those days for the show cars? What if I do not enter the show, will there be many others at the local hotels? Even though I don't think my car is nice enough to win an award, it may be worth entering just for a secure parking spot? :) At least people will still enjoy seeing it I think...

lancemb, you should by all means enter your Buick in the show. Please keep in mind that there are a number of options that don't require formal judging for your car -- Display Only, Driven Class, Archival Class. If you're bringing your vintage Buick, you'll most certainly want to have it in the show.

As for being paranoid--NO. If you have something nice where others can see it, there will always be one punk who will resent you because you have something he doesn't. (Doesn't the Bible says something about coveting? Oh well.....) And he may want to act out with a can of spray paint or breaking off a mirror or antenna.

A few days ago, a punk was caught tagging (BIG problem here) and when the news crew asked him why he did it as he was led handcuffed into police HQ, he just replied "hey, the city has money!" No remorse, no denial! So, to some, you are rich and don't deserve to be just because you have a nice car ( or wall or sign or anything else they haven't tagged yet!)

Recommend all of the proceedures mentioned here; I even learned a few myself!

• 1 year later...