Experience need apply

Guest Ctskip

Guest Ctskip

Ok I'm into the stripping of the 40 and I have come across a few stumbling blocks.

First I had forgotten that these were not made with socket sets in mind and every screw is a minus, no pluses needed here.

I have come across three areas of difficulty.

1) removing the shifting column off the steering column. The steering wheel is off and the shifter column is hanging onto the column . I just can't finger out how to remove the shifter arms off the shifter shaft, so I can slide the two apart.

2) with the motor removed, the xmsn is bolted down tightly to the frame and I broke one of the two rear mount bolts. Is there a specific order one must follow to remove the xmsn. It seems as though one bolt interfers with the other.

3) with most of the components out from under the dashboard, and the wiper motor removed . I'm left with the wiper housings, arms and chain drive. Is there a way to remove these so they can be reused ? Thier seems to be a nightmare waiting to happen should I screw up.

4) Is there a good book I don't have that would deal with the specifics of the Zephyr and it's assembly and disassembly? I have the the chassis parts book

I am also waiting for the index for the tip tricks that were published in the magazines. I'm hoping there will be some value in those tips. I'm at a standstill.

Anybody out there with experience on Zephyrs

Thanks, Ctski

1) shifter has c clip under wheel, and see the little hoop sticking out below the shft forks..it has an internal hook held in by spring tension..pull down and over it unhooks, little end cap comes off ..it will be obvious.

2) Support the trans, get tension off the bolts..soak em, and if you dont mind ruining the mount..heat bolt to cherry red..then remove..it bolts into the body/frame..heat & drill the broken one..

3) wiper towers have a clamp and bolt from in the car.simply remove..the little chains wrap around a cog..a bolt holds it on the tower....there may be a guide clamp on the air box or close that goes around the wiper trans..should be fairly obvious..

Dont fret!, I started my "restoration" in the 70's..My car started as a passion, then a hobby, then a curse ,to a challenge, then a mission..now its an obsession. If a bolt can break, it will. A part will look like a similar Ford part, readily available....but it wont...the bolt spins, you think it's comming off easy....the nut is spinning in a cage, out of reach....the engine is ready for rebuild, but it has a crack...etc etc etc....I decided I wouldnt let it beat me, it is just a machine...yea right..You could haul it off to some restoration shop, let your check book do the work...Did I mention tetnous shots!! I had many before age 20....

Guest Ctskip

I took lots of pictures and they are all to big to send. Go figure. I also cracked the camera so it has no screen now. $175 out the window. My fil is working on the window mechanisms so I can get some flat glass cut.

The wiper motor was easy to remove once most of the wires were removed and emergency brake handle was removed along with loads of other stuff removed from under the dashboard.. The gauge cluster is also removed. I have removed the two bolts that hold each wiper tower( I call it the wiper transmission) I saw this chain and I stopped because I figured there would and should be a better way to remove the tower without having to remove the chain. Should I remove both bolts on each tower or just one on each tower? I don't want these things falling apart on me.

I have removed the shifter column from the steering column on the cabin end. The other end near the steering box is where it's attached and I'd love to remove it from there. I just can't get it through the firewall for two reasons, the shifter on the top sides and the shifter arms inside the aluminium housing where the linkage attaches in the motor compartment. If I could remove the shifter arms along with the aluminium housing, I could remove it easily, by sliding into the cabin.. I'll look for the tension spring. Thanks

As for the xmsn I can see which bolts do what. Some are real close to others and make it almost impossible to remove them. I figured there was a order to their removal. I guess not.

Thanks for your help

Ctskip

post-65857-143138195166_thumb.jpg

post-65857-143138195168_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ctskip (see edit history)

It is hard to tell from your photo, but on the firewall of my 41 Continental, where the column goes thru the firewall, there is a plate held on with 4 screws, remove screws, remove plate and that will give you a much bigger hole to pull the steering column out. My column came out without removing anything other than the linkage to the trannie, If your car doesnt have that, that aluminum housing will come apart by removing the bolts holding it together and the splitting the housing.

Tom

Guest Ctskip

Yes it does have the square plate that can be removed. Thats done. I have also removed the aluminum holder that surrounds the shift levers from around the steering column. I just couldn't remove the arms off the shifter column, nor could I seperate both columns from each other.. I was hoping to slide the shifter column up through the cabin. Either way, I'm home now and not with the Z. My fil called to say he got both columns out. Hopefully he'll remember how to reassemble. I pray he doesn't go after the wiper transmissions (towers). Those look to be a nightmare.

Thanks

Ctskip

I've dealt with both these challenges and have photos but the darn "manage attachments" button disappears on me most of the time. It only pops up when I complain to Peter. As has been said, to remove the shift column undo the connections to the transmission linkage, pull the two bolts that clamp the lower end to the steering column. After removing the steering wheel pull the split washer at the end of the shaft. Then unhook the spring at the lower end from the tab on the end cap and remove the cast clamp assembly and linkage arms, being careful to keep track of how the spring washers and other pieces go together. The other end of the spring hooks around a pin that traverses the shaft. I also pulled the plate at the firewall to provide more room for movement. As for the wiper towers, be careful. I sheared off one of the tabs holding the chain. You can create slack in the chain by loosening an adjustment bolt and sliding the mechanism around. Then the chain can be unhooked from one of the tabs without breaking the darn thing. Hindsight is always the clearest.

Guest Ctskip

So what you are telling me is the chains must come off the cogs before I can remove the towers.

Wow. doing this on my back with little to nothing behind the dashboard, I can only imagine what it would be like with a up and fully functional vehicle.

Thanks,

Ctskip

Guest nasmith

I'm jumping in here late I know, but when I removed my wiper towers from my 40 LZ a couple of years ago, I did not take the chains off. I cannot remember the specifics, but I think only one nut on a stud was removed to release the "U" shaped clamp bar and then the tower, chains and all, lifted up through the cowl.

Norm

Edited by nasmith (see edit history)

Guest Ctskip

It's never to late. Thank you for your response.

Up through the top, eh? I got the u shaped bracket off and the towers became loose. I expected them to practically fall out. I do know there are two bolts one vertical and the other horizontal. If I remember correctly the vert one holds the U bracket and the tower in place. The other one, it seems, loosens the tower and allows access to the chain. Thats the way it seemed to me at the time. But what do I know? I wiggled and jiggled and nothing came out. It was all loose but wouldn't come apart. I'll have to give another go when I go back down there being fresh and clear headed. It was late and I had been working on the Z for 2 days of fun and adventure. After all, how much fun is one guy allowed to have. Now that I think about it, taking something apart and taking pictures of it, is some of the most fun I've ever had with my clothes on. Thanks again,

Ctskip

What do you know, I bugged Peter and I can post attachments again....

I don't know how you could remove the towers without removing the chains - you would have to drag the linkage out through the holes in the cowl, which would be quite difficult without sawing the linkage in half. With the dash off, access is pretty easy. The photo shows how the linkage end bolts onto the slot on the bottom of the tower, and the tabs that hold the end of the chain. Once the nut on the linkage is loosened, the chain can be slacked enough to disconnect the chain and separate the two parts. The bolt that is just visible secures the clamp that holds the tower in place. Not one of the Lincoln engineers' finer moments....

post-31572-143138195951_thumb.jpg

And here's the sketch I did of the lower end of the shift column (for mine eyes only, I thought). The spring at the top of the sketch has a loop in the end and another loop that hooks over a tab on the end cap. Unhooking the spring from the end cap frees things up so the entire assembly of linkage arms and u-shaped clamp casting can be slid off.

post-31572-14313819596_thumb.jpg

Guest nasmith

On my 40 LZ, the linkage easily disconnected from the internal wiper arm after removing a spring clip and the tower came out through the hole in the cowl.

Norm

Guest Ctskip

I can see where this could turn into a nightmare. And I have 95% of the stuff out from behind the dashboard. Lying on ones back, working upside down with my arms up over my head with a tiny chain that works off a cog that isn't much bigger than my thumb will prove to be daunting to say the least. Then to reassemble it with no twists. That I can't wait to attempt. Now I see why some hot rods don't have wipers.

I haven't looked but I see you mentioned having the dashboard off the vehicle. Did I read you correctly? How was that achieved? I'd be interested to hear this.

Thanks again y'all have been very helpful.

Ctskip

Guest Ctskip

nasmith,

not being with the Z at the moment and imagining how this tower gets removed . It sure would be nice if removing the two bolts from each tower, the towers would just fall out leaving the chains and cogs altogether. I'd be nice if they came out as a unit. Now that the dreams are becoming realities which I can see turning into nightmares, how do you get the tower out through the top without removing the chain from around the cog? Now I wish I had taken a better picture. Hindsight.

thanks

Ctskip

o.k. ctskip, Norm is right. There is a spring clip that holds the left and right linkage together. It is only about 1" from the left side tower. On my '41 the spring clip is bent over, and it is easy to remove by sliding a screwdriver under the bent part of the clip and prying upward against the pin. With the linkage disconnected from the vacuum motor and separated, the towers and linkage can be removed from the top. I wish I'd known that!

I pulled my dash to have it woodgrained. The hardest part was removing the ignition switch/steering wheel lock. There is a screw that looks like a carriage bolt that secures it to the underside of the dash that you either have to cut a slot in, or if you're lucky can be removed with vicegrips. Removal of other bolts is easy, but you open a whole can of worms when you start pulling wires.

Edited by DSpringer (see edit history)