89 Riv

Guest danb331

Guest danb331

I have a 89' Riviera with a roadster package that my parents bought new and I'm looking for information about the roadster package. Does anybody know how many roadsters were made with this fiberglass and canvas roof and continental tire on the rear bumper? Does it add any value to this car? I have never seen another one like it but it is on the original window sticker as an option. Any information about this roadster option would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Dan

Maybe someone with more knowledge on these later models will chime in but from what you describe, that type of accessory(s) is typically added by the dealer and not the factory. The dealer usually contracts with an aftermarket company and offered these as a way to make more money on the sell. I am not aware of a "roadster" package.

Dan,

Roadster conversions are a type of "over the top" addition to a car that really doesn't seem to enhance the value at all. Kind of like wild paint or graphics on a conversion van, the original owner gets to pay out big bucks for the conversion but rarely receives anything back on trade for the vehicle. As they are an aftermarket addition, I'm not sure that there is anyway to determine how many were converted. They are rare, but rare doesn't always equate to valuable.

My 2 cents,

Tim

The "roadster" package was added after market. i have only seen three in my life on 89 Riviera i have see tons of these packages on Caddy Eldo and Ford thunderbird and Continental. this was brought to us in the 70's and 80's the Lincoln Continental has the top and tire on the back from the factory. After markket shops made it for very other car the could. When i sold cars this was a was for me a a salesman to make more gross profit in the car by selling these packages.