HPOF certification for a ratty old car?

We're contemplating driving the '47 Dodge from Western Canada to Hershey this fall and thought it would be fun to show the car in pursuit of HPOF certification.

I've downloaded the current judging manual and am uncertain about how points are awarded/deducted for the HPOF... clearly any incorrect or unsightly detail is bad news for awards judging but, I assume, as long as an item/finish is original to the car then it receives credit for HPOF no matter how ratty it may be?

I'm the third owner of this 75K Canadian-built car. It was repainted in 1975 (more-or-less same colour, jambs and underhood untouched) but is otherwise original excepting battery, plugs & wires, headlights, tires, replacement but correct clock, windshield glass, muffler, front floor mats, rear springs, brake cylinders, water pump, belts, and LR fender. We may add signal lights and a '50s OD before the trip. The engine has never been apart and the interior fabrics and trim are all original other than several ancient patches on the headliner.

On the other hand, most everything about the Dodge is generally ratty and unsightly. Door panels and trim are a fright, driver's floor is ventilated, sills are rusting, paint is peeling, chrome is pitted, etc. etc.

Would this be an HPOF-certifiable car?

post-59237-14313819466_thumb.jpg

Not only may your Dodge be certifiable it is EXACTLY what the HPOF class was created for. Seeing it may be of great value to others. We had a region member that used to drive a 40 Packard 110 to Hershey every year for the HPOF class. He never washed it, he said it wasn't part of the necessary criteria. Finally so many of us gave him grief about showing a dirty car that one year he washed it. He kept it on his flea market spot prior to the show and someone came along and talked him into selling it to them. He has never forgiven us for embarassing him to the point of washing that great car. I'll take one that you can get in and drive over one thats just pretty any day.

I drove my ratty 1940 Packard to Hershey last year from southwest Ohio and showed it in HPOF. I'd be willing to trade Dave Berg for that pretty Duesenberg of his.

West,

You are seriously willing to trade your 1940 Packard for Dave's 1/24th scale Duesenberg? :D

(Joke stolen from novaman's dad Ron used on another occasion. :rolleyes:)