On my 74 Buick is there a fuel filter at the front of the carb?

Guest Estate Wagon man

Guest Estate Wagon man

Is it suppost too be a metal gold mesh or a paper one? My car runs so smooth its like it isnt running at all but when I give it gas it seems too bog down and I have to put my foot into it too get it going. Wasting gas in the process. The filter is original, Im wondering if the filter is paper and its clogged. That is if there is a filter in there. The carb guy said my pump was fine and the car ran perfectly, but he felt where the car would choke as he worked the accelerator. Suggestions. He wants too open up the carb and richen up the fuel flow at the needle and seat but Im sure the car when new didnt have this problem. I would like too leave it alone and maybe find the real cause. He said the car is running lean but it runs so well. My other thought was once I replace the filter(if there is one and find out what type it is) I would actually put a retard or back pressure valve in line to the EGR which might be opeing up WAY too soon and WAY too much causing the car to lean out. It might have had one originally and when ,that one and only hose was changed ,they omitted the valve. My Eldo of the same year has a ported vacuum and there is an in line retart or delay valve in line on it. I wonder if the Buick had one as well and it has been omitted. My last option after replacing the filter would be too plug the EGR and maybe that would solve the entire problem. Any thoughts? John

Edited by Estate Wagon man (see edit history)

Guest wildcat465

John,

As far as the fuel filter goes, I am assuming you have a 455 with a Quadra-Jet four barrel on it. Where the fuel line goes in, behind the large nut there is a fuel filter, if it has not been changed, now would be a good time. The parts store I work in has that filter available both as a bronze or paper element.

If you are bogging when you step on it, I suspect that this is the accelerator pump not providing enough fuel when the pedal is depressed. This can be from many reasons anywhere from your right foot to where the fuel goes into the venturi of the carb. Things to check include; linkage adjustment, making sure the casting above the accel pump is good and pivoting the stroke to the pump from the linkage, accelerator pump boot not leaking, accelerator pump spring intact allowing a smooth, timed stroke of fuel delivered, accelerator pump passages clear.

Frankly, I suspect it is time for your carb to be removed and be rebuilt by someone who is not interested in messing with the jetting. I get the feeling that you may the best guy to do it, judging by your posts and your attention to detail. Rebuilding a Quad is not hard, just needs patience and a willingness to do due dilligence and perform all adjustments as required for your application. Your carb (unless it has been replaced by another at some time) was set up to perform well with your car.

I do not think the EGR is your culprit, disconnect the vacuum line to it and drive the car, see if there is a difference, it obviously is not sticking open (most common problem with EGR) because you seem to indicate good idle quality.

My money is on the fuel enrichment system somewhere.

Guest Estate Wagon man

My carb guy says the accelerator pump is working fine. No, the fuel filter has not been changed. If its a wired mess I can clean that out if its the paper kind, I bet its in shreds or warped. The carb hasnt been touched EVER. I do think they did however replace the accelerator pump as it works very well. My carb guy said he would work on the enrichement but I dont really want too get into doing something it might really not need. Im sure when new it didnt bog down like this. Im going too open the fuel filter and check it out. If it is a paper mesh one Ill change it. I then will try it and if it still bogs, then Ill try and disconnect the EGR and see what that does. If not I can open up the air horn and check and see if slug is inside. It runs so smooth and it starts everytime with only one step on the pedal.

Guest kaycee

These filters, whether paper or bronze, are really inexpensive. Just replace it, 'cause it won't show you too much if you break it apart.

Do'nt mess with recalibrating the jets. It should'nt be needed,and original jets are made for your carb. on your engine. At most, if the bowl is full of dirt, buy a kit and rebuild the carb. adhering to proper adjustments, after replacing the filter.

If the car is 'flattening out' on acceleration, it could also be partially blocked fuel line or a failing fuel pump if your problem is in the fuel supply.

:) kaycee

Guest Estate Wagon man

Changed the fuel filter which was the original as well and the air cleaner filter. I replaced the fuel filter and cleaned out the air filter. It still had the stumble, so I had a friend hold the vacuum hose to the EGR port and even at start up the EGR was getting vacuum. So I plugged it off and the problem went away. I dont want too block off the EGR completely, so what I have found in the past is to actually take a pin and puncture the EGR all the way around the rim of the EGR valve and that allows the EGR too work but not open up so much and so far, a little opening is better than NONE, so that works for me. I should have thought about this in the first place as I have come across the same issue before on my 79 Eldo with the backpressure vavle. Now, no stumble and the car runs great. Thanks for you help and adivse.