timing belt snapped

doing 65 on easter sunday...timing belt snapped...barely able to pull over

then cranked it 3 times...nothing...pushing it off the road in neutral..now sits in driveway of a helpful person 400 yards off of the freeway, 23 miles from home...

now...do I have that kind of engine that is totalled when the timing belt snaps?

or am I easter lucky and able to put it back together ( of course with the right tdc )

4cyl chrysler turbo

Guest TC Toad

If you have an 8 valve engine you are probably safe. These are considered a non-interference engine. Now if your engine is a 16 valve, then yes you have damage...probably some bent valves at the minimum. Here's hoping your engine is an 8 valve. Good Luck!!

Neon 2.0 and 2.4 are both interference. 2.2l chrysler and dodge lotus and maserati head motors are not

That's good to know. I lost a 16 valve neon in nowhere Tennessee after the timing belt broke. It was "non interference" but it had bent valves afterwords.

Guest StudeDude 01
V6 is an interference motor

Sorry chief, the 3.0L SOHC used in the TC and many other Mopars is not an interference engine; the DOHC version used in various Mitsubishi vehicles is an interference engine. Check out gates.com for an excellent listing of what is and isn't.

Hi everybody,

Does anyone know when the timing belt should be replaced as a regular maintenance item? I have an '89 4 cyl auto trans.

And Louz (the seat restoration guru), I'm still working on getting pictures of my beat up seats to you so you can tell me how to go about restoring them; they're not the worst i've seen, but not too good either, maybe a 4 out of 10...