1957 Buick Trunk lid or area around key lock

buick man

Hello:

I am searching for a 1957 Buick trunk lid key lock assembly. I just bought a Roadmaster that believe it or not, someone at sometime or another took and cut out the lock of the trunk using what appears to have been a combination of a saw-zaw and tin snips. The hole is about the size of a baseball. It is just below the insignia "ROAD MASTER". Of course I believe any 1957 trunk lock mechanism would work since all I really need is about a cut out measuring somewhere in the 4 inch by 6 inch rectangle size with the trunk key lock intact in the middle. That way I will use this piece cut to shape and use as a template then cut out the same on my trunk and then tig weld the new piece into place.

I have the complete inside trunk trip mechanism and latch system. All I need is the complete key lock mechanism. I can open my trunk by inserting a standard screwdriver into where the key lock mechanism would insert.

I really don't want to destroy a perfectly good trunk lid to do this. Therefore I am asking anyone who has or knows of someone with a lid that is really in a non useable condition overall to cut out the trunk sheet metal area with key lock mechanism installed. I would just use sheet metal, but the stock runk key lock hole has a pressed recessed rim and hole from the Buick factory in the sheet metal so fabrication would be harder to accomplish. It would be a lot easier to just get this area from a donor lid.

Let me know if you have one or know of any sources that would. I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

David

Guest palosfv3

Check at your local PBE supplier. They sell a universal GM style trunk lock stamping. These are made for theft repair replacement after the locals beat the trunk lock through the deck lid. They should fit all the way back to the early 50's as most outside GM lock cylinders are the same. They are around $30.00. There is a slight difference between the door panel and deck lid blanks.

Thanks fellas, for your input and help. I have this fist size hole in my trunk where the key lock once was.

Greg: I live about a hour north of San Francisco. My car is a 1957 2-door Roadmaster Model 76A

" . . . Check at your local PBE supplier. They sell a universal GM style trunk lock stamping. These are made for theft repair replacement after the locals beat the trunk lock through the deck lid. They should fit all the way back to the early 50's as most outside GM lock cylinders are the same. They are around $30.00. There is a slight difference between the door panel and deck lid blanks."

palosfv3: Not exactly clear by what you mean here. I have never heard of this GM Style trunk lock stamping. What exactly is it? Would it consist of the embossed recessed key lock hole with about 4 inches of metal around it or would I have to use my own sheet metal stock cut to fit then weld the "GM Style trunk lock stamping to it? Could you indulge me here a little and expand on this a bit?

Another question comes to mind here. Now are not the trunk key and the glove box key one and the same key? Also is the door key and ignition key one and the same key as well on a 1957 Buick? I just got this car and it has no keys at all. So if the door key and the ignition key are the same I would rather take the door lock mechanism out to the lock smith to make a key than taking the ignition out to do it. BTW: Someone told me the opposite was true, that the trunk and ignition were the same where the door and glove box share the same key. Would you guys know which is which?

Regarding the outfit you are referring to I am not familiar with PBE? Who are they and do they have a website? Remember I'm out here on the left coast!

Thanks in advance.

David

Edited by buick man (see edit history)

kdodge:

You mean to say on your buick the door key is the same for the ignition, trunk and glove compartment? One key for everything? I had a 1957 Caballero Wagon through the 70.s and I believe the door key and ignition were on different keys. I could be mistaken but that is what I recall. Are you sure no one has "keyed" the locks to be the same before you bought the car? Correct me if I am wrong please.

David

Buick man,

Can't help with the panel you need but just to confirm what kdodge stated, While my three Buicks are 1958's all three cars have one key for the ignition, glove box, doors and trunk locks. Have had them for most of 40 years so know they were not rekeyed to have only one key.

Not sure when they went to two keys but know Dad's 1959 Olds Ninety-eight had two keys. Would imagine the 57's use the one key thing also as kdodge has stated.

Good luck, Doug.

Guest palosfv3

Here is a pic of the type of blank I'm referring to. Been hanging around the shop for a while . Measures 4"x6" with a 7/8" cylinder diameter ,and about a 1/4" inset for the stamping.

post-48905-143138195337_thumb.jpg

Guest kdodge

I agree with doug. One key fits all in 57. My 60 buick uses two keys so the changd may have been 1959. Good luck with your project. A 57 Buick, to me anyway, is much nicer than a 57 Chev. But I'm a Big Buick guy myself. Kurt

Thanks guys. That's what I like about this site, other people helping other people for a common good.

Well, guess the jury is in. 1957 Buicks had one key for the entire bar. So I will take the door lock mechanism out this weekend and get it keyed then I will be good to go.

palosfv3: If you have that blank hanging around the garage and would like to sell it let me know. If you can get one from your local PBE Supplier let me know. Give me their telephone number and I'll buy on from them that way I would not have to chop up a trunk lid.

or....

anyone else know how I can get one of these blanks please chime in and let me know.

Again, thanks you guys for giving me your opinions and feedback.

David

Guest palosfv3

Some lids were flat at the lock cylinder. I only have the dished ones . PM me your address if this is the one you need and I 'll send one to you.

• 1 month later...

I should explain here just a bit.

We agreed on a Friday to have me call him the next day on a Saturday as to what we should do about the trunk lid. He thought he had a bad lid around but was unsure on what he wanted to do. I called him that Saturday after lunch but got no response. I left early that next week on a last minute unexpected family matter trip out of state. Since we had not confirmed anything about the trunk I figured I would call him back when I got a chance. I did not have his number with me during the trip. He called a couple of times and my office notified me about his calls stating he had cut up his trunk lid. I called him during my absence and told him I would contact him when I got back and we would conclude the deal when I got back. My stay took much longer than I had expected.

I just got back yesterday. He had my telephone number all this time and could of called me as of recent and left a message again. If he did I have not received it.

BuickBonery, It is unfortunate we had a misunderstanding. Instead you chose to address your business concerns publicly on this forum as you did.

Well I was going to contact you tomorrow but when I logged onto this post I was surprised to see your post flaming me.

It was premature and unfortunate that you cut up your lid without confirmation from me first since you were the one unsure of what you wanted to do.

I appreciate the thoughtful effort and initiative you employed. Thank you. But since you decided to post this on this site without concluding or confirming things with me first, I find this tactic to be somewhat sophomoric.

Therefore, please keep the lid and sell it to some one else. I will find another.

David

Edited by buick man (see edit history)

Guest Buick Bonery

I spoke to you on April 3. If you scroll up, you'll see a post from you saying that you were still looking for the part on April 11..

Even if you were out of town, you could still give me your address and credit card number.

Note to self and others on this board - never cut without securing payment first.

I did not own the car until April 5th. PaloSfV sent me a generic plate - gratus. That was great of him. However, I will be sending it back to him since the metal is too thin. I located an actual trunk piece and the metal O.E.M. metal is much thicker.

BuickBonery:

Mistake 1: You did cut it up before talking to me and confirming the sale and I did not know you had done so until I was gone.

Mistake 2: Then you posted on this site pissing on my leg instead of talking to me. I had a lot going on.

Thanks everyone for helping me out. I appreciate that. I have found what I need and am proceeding with the install.

David

Guest Buick Bonery

The other lesson learned from this experience: Telling the truth requires far less time and energy than telling a lie.

Wow, it is hard to believe ... One person needs a part, the other person has it,

who is on first is academic, put the deal together and both of you can be happy.

I guess some people just have too much time on their hands. My 2-bits.