Sign in to follow this  
jack gto

weight distribution and sway control

Just ordered a my frist trailer and I want to get a weight distribution and sway control set up . I hear the equalizer are the best but I saw a new reese 66074 model. Not sure which I should go with . Trailer is 24foot enclosed 10,000 lb I will be carrying 7500lb car and trailer . Any input ? Thanks Jack

I have the same size trailer, except it is 9,990 lb as stated on the trailer. Read some of the other threads that have some great information on weight limits. When I purchased my trailer I got the Reese i think 12,000 pound hitch so it has some safety cushion and it works great.

We use an Equal-i-zer brand, built by Progress Mfg of Utah. I purchased the 12,000# model as we do tip the 10,000# mark on a few occasions. It uses no chain hook ups and give clear instructions on how to set it up when you first install it. The quality is excellent and it is built in the country. I found the tech support very good. It was not the cheapest hitch on the market but we found it money well spent. The only comment I would make is because the arms act as load levelers as well as a sway control it does make a bit of noise in certain hard turns. It does not bother me I'm more concerned that is does the job when we are rolling down the highway.

Based upon personal experience and many miles towing ;)

Your choices are spring bar or trunnion bar

Spring bar loses tension over a short period of time above

8000 pound rating - the spring bars can fall out of the head :eek:

Trunnion bar system is the only way to go

I use the Blue Ox system:

@ http://www.blueox.us/PDFS/BXW0550-750-1000-1500.pdf

Jim

I have essentially the same trailer and hitch setup as Msmazcol, but also have older Reese and Valley equalizer hitches. All perform well if properly set up. I would not be without the equalizer. Early-on I also bought a sway control, but found that when properly loaded (60% of weight forward of axles - tongue weight equal to 10% of trailer and trailered weight) I simply do not need it, and haven't used it in the past 30 + years.

Remember -- Safety First -- the other guy is probably going t do something which will endanger both of you, so back-off, give him (or her) more room, F.I.D.O. - Forget It, Drive On!

I expect to be at the AACA 75th in Louisville

Dale and I will drive the Tours, and we'll show the 1930 Packard 733 7-Passenger Phaeton-- Our first time to show any car at an AACA Meet.

Will we see you there?

Yes, we have made our reservations. Our plan is to bring the 69 442 and enter the HPOF. The last AACA events we brought the Willys fire engine. Time for something different.

We have compared trailer notes before. Look forward to meeting you.

Take care, Mark