1936 radio antenna

Guest Staff

Guest Staff

I just installed a rebuilt 7 tube, super het original radio in my 1936 Olds. The radio works fine but the new antenna on the number plate bracket seems to be incompatible and the radio only pulls in one station where as on the test bench it was very strong. What was the original antenna system??

Roger is right, but in addition, choose the weak station at the extreme end of the radio band, and extend the antenna to its maximum length, then turn the trimmer screw for the strongest reception.

Good luck.

Guest Staff

Thank you Roger and Happy Easter. I am wondering if the new type antenna will pull in other stations as I am able to only get one right now. Obviously, the old radio only has AM. I know where the antenna adjuster is but have not had a chance to try it yet but will tomorrow. Thanks again for your response.

Guest Staff

Thanks for the reply Marty, these forums are really helpful and I appreciate your comments. The new antenna looks a little out of place on the ol' girl and someone locally said something about the antenna may have been under the running board. Great looking ride, by the way...

If your car had an under-runningboard antenna, and you add up the total number of feet of the original antenna wire, you may discover that it was several times as long at the "new" one that replaced the original. Especially if the antenna was under both runningboards!

My 1934 Buick uses chicken wire in the roof sbove the wood, and below the rubberized topping.

Your '36 Oldsmobile likely has a solid steel "Turret-top" roof, and as such would not have used the chicken wire. Running board antenna might be right, but the 1st question is: did Your car have the radio installed, or is this a new installation. 2nd - be sure that the swiveling bracket under the antenna (inside the body) is making good ground contact against clean metal, and not interrupted by excess paint -- also, be sure that the antenna mast is not grounding against the body. Also be sure that the radio itself is mounted such that the case is well grounded. I believe that your car is positive ground, but double check to be sure all grounds are clean.

Best of luck - let us know how you make out