New paint on our 70 Riviera

Guest sintid58

Guest sintid58

Last year I purchased this 1970 Riviera off Ebay from a local scrap metal dealer. He had been approached by the children of an elderly man who is in a care facillity about getting rid of some of his collection of cars. The dealer bought 5 Buick Riviera's for salvage price and put them all for sale on Ebay. None of the cars had been licensed or driven since 1982. We worked last winter getting the car running and driving which it does very well and this winter my son Robert used the car for a school project. A freind of mine who has a body shop let Robert help him strip and repaint the car. There was no rust, bondo and just a few minor dents to deal with but the paint was very bad having been driven on gravel roads most of its life. The car has just 64,000 miles on it and I am pretty sure that is correct because my experience with 70's cars would tell me the interior wouldn't be as nice as it is if it had 164,000. We can't get the vinyl top to clean up real nice and have tried evey type of vinyl cleaner we can find along with Simple Green, Comet, Bleach, Bleech White, and several others. The interior had some mold growing on it but cleaned up pretty good and is in very good shape, other than getting it really clean, once again we have tried all kinds of things to no avail. It is white and we may just have to leave it for now. Anyway after that long winded message the main thing I wanted to do here was post some pictures of the car now that it is out of the body shop. I think it really turned out nice. As you can see I am not a proffessional photographer and I took these pictures using my phone so they are not the greatest. In the one picture you can see the gas pump handle for my antique gas pump in the foreground.:D<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

post-30993-143138194013_thumb.jpg

post-30993-143138194015_thumb.jpg

post-30993-143138194018_thumb.jpg

post-30993-14313819402_thumb.jpg

Hi Sid,

Congrats to you and your son, the car looks great. I love the junker to nice, functional driver stories. Is this a factory color for `70? Seems I`ve seen it quite often on `68 and `69`s but not on the `70 models. Again, congrats and thanks for sharing,

Tom Mooney

Sid,

The 70 looks great, you and your son must be proud! There was a product in the late 1970's (the heyday of vinyl roofs!) called Mar-hyde, a kind of vinyl dye/paint that body shops and car detailers used to get a couple more years out of a vinyl roof. I wonder if there is still a product like that available? Best of luck with the 70 and thanks for sharing the photos!

Tim

Guest wildcat465

Another great looking ride Sid, short skirts on 70 Riv's look dynamite in my eyes. With all of those great cars getting done, I suppose your biggest hurdle is figuring out which one(s) to bring to Ames!

To go along with what everyone else has said so far; the car looks great, congratulations to you and your son, and it's a great "save another Riv" story.

I'm not sure that Mar-Hyde is available any longer. SEM has more or less taken over the vinyl re-coloring market. You could probably find a color that's very close to what the OE color should be for the top from them. When recoloring a vinyl top besides making sure it's really clean, you need to use a product on it that will open the pores of the vinyl. Rather than a cleaner this will have to be a chemical such as Xylene, Toluene, or MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone) or something similar. Be sure to read up on any of these kinds of products before using them; they're not friendly.

Sem Color Coat comes in aerosol cans and that can create a problem with the top having stripes in it where the aerosol goes on too dry as you overlap it. If you can, find a vinyl dye that can be applied with a HVLP spray system, probably the same system that you used to paint the car.

If the vinyl top show any of the white backing coming through it, It's time to replace it. Exposed backing means that the sealing feature of the vinyl is gone and moisture can penetrate it getting to the metal top below it - i.e. rust. On a car of this era there is nothing quite as eye popping as a new vinyl top. New paint on my '70 Skylark was great, but the new vinyl top was the cat's meow.

Again, congrats on a great car.

Ed

Guest sintid58

Thanks for all the nice comments. The top is actually in very nice condition overall just faded and had kind of a blackish residue in the grain. I really like the looks of this car much more with the small fender skirts than I did with the big ones and the color really looks much better now. Supposedly they took a sample of the paint from inside the trunklid and matched the paint that way so it is supposed to be factory. I found a paint chart online and there are 3 colors not too far from this, I think they also used the paint code from the body tag.

Ed,

A little Minnesota company called 3M now makes Mar-Hyde and they show a number of vinyl prep and refinishing products! I've always found that 3M stuff is about the best you can get for any automotive chemical application.

Tim:)

Tim,

I've heard of that "little" place.

That's actually good to know. I figured that because the two places here in town where I get that kind of stuff quit carrying it, it must have been or Overland Auto Paints and see if everything they've got now is from China. :(

Earlier I did some googling and found some of the products you'd need to come up with a basic vinyl repair "kit." I think that you could buy the essentials for about $300. That wouldn't include any dyes, and you'd have to make your own impression molds.

Guest kaycee

Hi Sid,

Nice car! I agree, if 3M still makes their vinyl top paint, I'd go with it. If the grain is still good on your top, you won't have to worry about graining it with a vinyl repair kit. I would use their precleaner products using a soft scrub brush, match the color, and just spray it on. Check with a good, old body shop or supply house for body shops, and ask around for options. They're still a lot of collector cars out there with vinyl tops, and I did it on a '74 Merc Montego. 'Turned out like new.

I still have color "chips" for all the available "paints", if you need to match the top color. Just PM me.

:) kaycee

Guest wildcat465

FYI - Dupont makes vinyl paint also, you can have custom colors made. They have been in the color business for a couple years and may provide a decent product as well.

Guest danb331

I know it sounds funny, but the best thing i have found to clean vinyl and or canvass tops is Castrol Super Clean( actually a degreaser). I have had great luck with it on my 76' cougars white vinyl top( that when i bought it had mold growing on it and the black road grime in the groves like you describe) and my 89' Riv's canvas top(that also has a tendency to get grime in the tan canvas). Hope this helps, and you have good luck with "Supper Clean" as i have been amazed by it. Dan