1970 Riviera out of the paint booth

Guest sintid58

Guest sintid58

Last year I purchased this 1970 Riviera off Ebay from a local scrap metal dealer. He had been approached by the children of an elderly man who is in a care facillity about getting rid of some of his collection of cars. The dealer bought 5 Buick Riviera's for salvage price and put them all for sale on Ebay. None of the cars had been licensed or driven since 1982. We worked last winter getting the car running and driving which it does very well and this winter my son Robert used the car for a school project. A freind of mine who has a body shop let Robert help him strip and repaint the car. There was no rust, bondo and just a few minor dents to deal with but the paint was very bad having been driven on gravel roads most of its life. The car has just 64,000 miles on it and I am pretty sure that is correct because my experience with 70's cars would tell me the interior wouldn't be as nice as it is if it had 164,000. We can't get the vinyl top to clean up real nice and have tried evey type of vinyl cleaner we can find along with Simple Green, Comet, Bleach, Bleech White, and several others. The interior had some mold growing on it but cleaned up pretty good and is in very good shape, other than getting it really clean, once again we have tried all kinds of things to no avail. It is white and we may just have to leave it for now. Anyway after that long winded message the main thing I wanted to do here was post some pictures of the car now that it is out of the body shop. I think it really turned out nice. As you can see I am not a proffessional photographer and I took these pictures using my phone so they are not the greatest. In the one picture you can see the gas pump handle for my antique gas pump in the foreground.:D

post-30993-1431381940_thumb.jpg

post-30993-143138194004_thumb.jpg

post-30993-143138194006_thumb.jpg

post-30993-143138194009_thumb.jpg

Sid,

That's a great colour.............it really suits the car:cool:

I agree with Derek, Meguiar's Vinyl and Rubber cleaner is an excellent product and may just be able to help rejuvinate the Vinyl top......worth a try anyway.

It's also great on vinyl upholstery and tyres.

I used it on my black convertible top and it transformed it from a dull and faded looking top to one that looks brand new.

Regards

Sid, it looks like it just came off of the end of the assembly line. Nice Job! I see you were able to find the "small skirts". I always thought they looked great. Like I told you,I put them on the car in the winter because of the snow and ice buildup and the full skirts in the summer.

Again, nice job and a great father/son project.

stevo

Guest sintid58

Thanks everyone, I think the small "skirts" really make a difference. (Always did like a girl in a short skirt). I have been thinking about taking it to a proffessional detailer to see what they car do with either cleaner or paint. Mechanically I can tackle most problems but body wise espescially when it comes to paint I am not very good and don't have the tools skills to tackle it.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest 75RivGS

Must have missed this thread... Found a pair of the small fender skirts, so immediately thought of your request for a pair earlier and while searching the board I stumbled upon this thread.

Really a beautiful Riviera. Very classy color... suits the Riv very well.

Sid,

I agree with the others. The car looks GREAT! Another case of a decent car saved from the crusher and turned into an outstanding car.

As for the vinyl, the others have also given you some great advice. If the vinyl top and interior are not cracked, dry, hardened or peeling apart, a good vinyl paint is the best bet.

Find a good upholstery supply shop that sells automotive fabrics, vinyls, foam rubber and other parts. They will have a color chart of about 35-30 available SEM spray paints available. That would work well on the interior. You would be SHOCKED at how many 1-3 year old cars have SEM vinyl paint on their interiors; if applied well, you don't even know the original stain or fading was ever there.

As for the top, I would go with a good paint shop, applying the right color to the top, with a vinyl flex agent added to the paint. Once again, done properly and you will be the only one to know the top has been painted.

Keep it rolling!

Joe

Guest wildcat465

Another great looking car Sid!

I need to know, how do you get all of this stuff done and spend all that time on the road? If my wife looked on here and saw your progress and compared it to mine, I would probably get my butt kicked.

Oh well, my problem, not yours.

I hope to see this great car someday myself.