46 Buick Fastback?

Guest jchriste

Guest jchriste

I heard it called a fastback after I picked it up in an auction today. It is a 46 2 door mostly complete rolling car. Windows broken and some healthy dents in the drivers door swell and the rear pass fender. Boy it looks like it would make a great rod! I really went to get parts for my 48 super convertable but they were out of financial reach for me. I was able however to get the bid on this car. Title is unknown if it will be clear once vin inspection is completed or if it will be branded. I think I'm gonna need to raise about 2000 to get the trim and window frames for my convertible, anyone interested in this car for approximately that amount or am I dreaming? Rust is minor/mainly surface stuff.

Jay Christensen

Guest jchriste

I am not seeing how to post some here but I can surely send some to you if you like. I also have a 46 4dr with much of the little pieces like a HL ring, tail-lights, hood latches and so on that is missing off this one.

• 2 weeks later...
I am not seeing how to post some here..

To add images on the bottom of the screen

1) Click on 'Go Advanced'

2) On the top row of your reply box you will see a paper clip. Click on it or on “attach files manage attachments" down the screen-.

3) The 'Manage Attachments' window will appear.

4) Click on the 'Browse' button for that window.

5) A browse dialog will appear. Browse to the location of the file on your computer.

6) Click on the file

7) From the 'Manage Attachments' window click on 'Upload'.

8) Close the 'Manage Attachments' window.

9) Submit your reply when the message text is complete

Be sure to check on the upload screen they are attached by scrolling down

Have also read there is a limit of 2000 pixels when posted as an attachment You can also add images to a gallery. Check your User CP (Control Panel)

For graphics software to resize images (and much more) try IrfanView - Homepage - one of the most popular viewers worldwide. Free to download with many features. Easy to use.

Edited by 1939_buick (see edit history)

Guest jchriste

Must have had some body parts changed at one time, The ID plate is attached the same as my others so its probably your ID that as been changed. In fact I took a Photo of the one from my 46 4dr and its attached the same location with same type of rivets. Here are some comparisons(my convertables VIN tag is off right now).

post-67181-143138197284_thumb.jpg

post-67181-143138197289_thumb.jpg

post-67181-143138197295_thumb.jpg

Guest ewing

the hood emblem is separately mounted like a 46.

So the firewall ID appears to be 46, that can be right, the hood is 46. The front fenders are 48 and grill could be 47 or 48.

Jay, the grilles from '42 thru '48 all interchange, so, your '47-48 grill doesn't prove much. The '48 is easily identified by looking at the motor mounts. '42 thru '47 have front motor mounts, and they moved them to the sides about the center of the motor in '48. Also, if you remove the battery box and check on the frame about where the rear of the cross member is welded onto the main frame rail, it will tell you if you have the correct serial number plate. They are only screwed on so they are easily changed. The serial number on the frame is hard to find sometimes, you have to look closely after you clean it. Good luck, Paul

Guest Straight eight
The front end is a 48. The id plate is attached differently than mine.

That hood appears to be a 46, note the Buick shield.

Notice the "super" scripts on the front fenders, they were new on the 48' models, although they could have been bought and added later.

Central Ohio

41' 76c

48' 56c

48' Lincoln Continental Convertible

48' Willy-Overland Jeepster

55' MG TF1500 Roadster

The instruments in the dash will tell if it is a 48 or and older car. The speedometer, clock and guages all had a bronze color background in 46 and 47 and changed to black background in 48. I am guessing it is a 46 based on the 46 firewall tag that appears to have the origional rivits and, based on the fender script "Super", the car had a 48 nose put on it sometime in it's life.

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Jay:

I looked closely at the picture you posted that shows the oblong tag just above the body tag. If I read it correctly, the number is 14445352. This shows me that the car was built at Flint (the 1 is Flint's code) and 4,445,352 is a frame number used about the second production day of September 1946 for a 1946 car.

Regards, Dave Corbin

Guest jchriste

Thanks for all the help, its got to be a 46 from what I've heard here, the motor mounts are in the front. Grill must have come off a different car, emblems as well. I removed three port holes that were attached to the sides with sheet metal screws that another guy told me didn't come out till 49 so it obviously has been mixing its drinks. I'll get the vin inspection and I may have to title it like Johnny Cashes car that he smuggled out one piece at a time, perhaps this is it:o)