Interesting Stutz pictures

V.Milke

Hi guys:

Now that I saw the pics of the racing car in Brasil that Steve posted, I remember I have some interesting pics to share.

How about posting some interesting Stutz pictures?

I have a friend whose grandfather was the Stutz distributor in Mexico. My friend only found a very few pics of Stutzes among his family members and I will be posting them here.

Here is my favorite one. It is a 1926 or 27 Stutz crossing a river, apparently an AA phaeton, being pulled by a bunch of horses and horesemen with sombreros somewhere in rural Mexico.

Victor

post-31812-143138193805_thumb.jpg

In 1928, a famous sportsman and racer in Mexico, Miguel Abed, won a race on his 1927 Phaeton, from Mexico city to Puebla, in a time that I wouldn't even do today! Here are the pics from that event.

By the way, the Stutz newspaper mentioned also that in 1928 for the first time, the newspaper was read in the port of Acapulco on the same day that it was printed, and it was taken there precisely by the same Miguel Abed in the same car.

post-31812-143138193814_thumb.jpg

post-31812-143138193817_thumb.jpg

Probably also in Puebla, and after the same race... promotion time! The sign says: The Stutz Blackhawk, The king of American race tracks.

The picture from the front states the speed as being 170 kilmeters per hour (I have difficulty in getting my car to 100), which would translate to 100 miles per hour. Difficult to believe, isn't it?

post-31812-14313819382_thumb.jpg

post-31812-143138193824_thumb.jpg

I wonder what body style is under the sheet? Conv Sedan probably?

I would guess it is the same 1927 phaeton which was apparently used for a lot of promotion (the race, the feat of driving in one full day to Acapulco...).

I have only a few more pics of Stutz in Mexico which I am posting now.

This appears to be an AA sedan, on the way to Puebla. I would appear that the highway was being made but not paved yet.

post-31812-143138193913_thumb.jpg

post-31812-143138193914_thumb.jpg

This is a 1928 sedan that was apparently in an accident on the road to Cuernavaca, another city very close to Mexico city. One of the pictures looks like it was double exposed, and is difficult to see, but it is clearly the same 1928 sedan.

By the way, it appears to me as an early '28 sedan (because of the headlights), but with '27 emblems for the wheels (black, instead of white, as used in '28).

The wire imbeded glass is very apparent. By the way, is there a source for these type of glass? I would need to do my phaeton's windshield that way.

victor

post-31812-143138193927_thumb.jpg

post-31812-143138193931_thumb.jpg

I don't know how many Stutz cars were sold in Mexico. I assume that very few. But at least I know there were two early 1928 phaetons, mine, and this other one. I know it is not my car because it has the simpler (earlier?) type of fixing the spare tire, with a leather strap only, while my car has the locks on the inside of the front fenders. This picture appears to be from a bunch of sportsmen, probably hunters on a hunting trip.

post-31812-143138193935_thumb.jpg

And to finish up, this is my last original picture of Stutz in Mexico. It is apparently from an auto-show in 1929 in Balbuena (Mexico city) Unfortunately, the pic is not even complete. When looking carefully at the original pic, I saw that it advertises a radio already! Unfortunately the deffinition I got with my camera does not help much.

Hope you enjoyed the pics.

Victor

post-31812-143138193937_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Here is another interesting picture of a Stutz in Mexico, the oldest I have been able to find. It was sent to Mike Barry from the Stutz Club, and he kindly put me in contact with the guy who sent it, Agustin Garibay, who is a car collector in the city of Puebla, Mexico, and his grandfather, Santiago Garibay, had a bunch of very interesting cars back in the 20's, among them an Isotta Fraschini and what he thinks is a 1923 Stutz.

If anybody can tell me more information about what Stutz model it is, Agustin would surely love to hear about it.

Victor

post-31812-143138209376_thumb.jpg

post-31812-14313820938_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

1919 Series G Stutz, only year that Stutz used Rudge-Whitworth wire wheels, this body style with low sides and no doors was called the Bearcat in sales catalog and Speedster in the parts catalog. The outside shift was only on the Bearcat this year, all other body styles had the shift inside. Bumpers front and rear are accessories.

• 9 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Good to hear from you, stutzl6.  I wouldn't know for sure what car is under the cover, but I guess you are right! The profile appears to be that of the 4 passenger speedster.  Curiously, the only pics I have seen of 1928 and later Stutz in Mexico is one sedan and a few phaetons... I haven't seen one of a speedster yet.