Announcers at Barrett Jackson-drive me crazy

tbirdman

To get this thread back on track, does anybody know if the announcers get paid a promotional fee to push certain people's cars? The reason I ask is that a number of times when an early T-Bird came up for bidding they would say, "Is this an Andy Molitor (not his real name) restoration?" It was almost like the check out person asking, "Do you want fries with your order?" I find this annoying because there are plenty of restorers doing quality work besides this individual. It would be nice to see if these people are just mentioning Andy because that is the only name they know or if they are paid shills. :confused:

Hi Don, it is in here in the Old Car Restoration Projects Forum category under Current Projects, would love for you to take a look, Todd C

Todd, very nice 57 and a T/A? The 57 would be Kenya Ivory over Limefire green??

Don

To get this thread back on track, does anybody know if the announcers get paid a promotional fee to push certain people's cars? The reason I ask is that a number of times when an early T-Bird came up for bidding they would say, "Is this an Andy Molitor (not his real name) restoration?" It was almost like the check out person asking, "Do you want fries with your order?" I find this annoying because there are plenty of restorers doing quality work besides this individual. It would be nice to see if these people are just mentioning Andy because that is the only name they know or if they are paid shills. :confused:

They will also hold and milk certain peoples cars on the block, while others fly by when they could have had other bids.

Don

To Tbirdman, I think they also do this with Mopar musclecar documentation from Mr Gary Grover (not HIS real name). Probably reading it from their copy of the auction listing. Very good question though, makes you wonder...

To Don, thanks, it is Limefire Green and (light) Seacrest Green, inside and out. The TA is a clean original 1979 I enjoy very much.

We have been slowly restoring a 1949 Volkswagen and it is particularly difficult finding info and parts amidst all the "update" and "performance" static.

Have you tried the samba???

Don

Guest Bob Call

I don't waste my time on these TV auction shows. The idiots that bid on the crap that goes across the block deserve to get the shorts put on them. Clones and tributes? Give me a F'ing break!

I don't think so...Meguiar is one of the slickest guys on TV.He's a world class name dropper and he must have a clause in his contract that pays him by the number of times he uses the word "passion".

I can't get through his show-he's just that bad.

Hey mystar, I just watched my taped episode of Car Crazy (from the SEMA show) and was reminded why I stopped watching. You are right, with the fawning over street rods and the "passion" I could hardly stand it.

Say, if you want to follow an auction that is more grounded with less fluff and more meat, tune into the Mecum Auction in Kansas City on HD Theatre. It is on right now!

Too many muscle cars.....and nothing ever sells due to the reserves.

I have trouble watching BJ too, but at least everything sells (supposedly, although I am sure people have shill bidders out there to ensure they don't take a bath)

Too many muscle cars.....and nothing ever sells due to the reserves.

I have trouble watching BJ too, but at least everything sells (supposedly, although I am sure people have shill bidders out there to ensure they don't take a bath)

More like too many Pony cars and resto mods.

Don

So, what did you think (getting back on topic) of the announcers....?

Please read back to the beginning of this thread of my entries you will see my position, but generally lack of information or misinformation is worse than no information at all. I have never seen a Mecum auction, but I did see a RM auction a few years back that was nothing like B/J. What they did was have a respected chap named Alain DeCadenet do interviews with the cars and the owners before the car went on the block. If you all remember Alain was the host of the series Victory By Design on the old speed channel. Alain is a race car driver/team driver and driver/ owner and knows exotics pretty well. What he dosen't know about say a Pontiac-Olds-or VW he asks the owner.

FYI when speed changed hands a few years back some of these knowledgeable people and great shows disappeared with the new network.

Sadly this type of thing has happened to many cable cable/sat. shows such as DIY , HGTV, FUEL, SPEED ect. They have all fallen for it. Someone starts a great thing, then someone or a group of investors buys in or buy's out the the product and screws up the formula for success.

Don

Huh?

The samba is a webb site dedicated to VW's--Parts, cars, lit, restoration and technical information and a forum as well, even though there are people who modify cars, there is a bunch of purest there as well. It is a world wide network and you will learn many things about the car and it's history. Try it!

Don

Guest ROCKYVOSS

RE B-J ANNOUNCER I THINK THOSE GUYS TALK WAY TOO MUCH, THEIR BANTER IS SO ANNOYING. DOWN HERE IN TEXAS THEY HAVE A LOT OF RODIOS AND EVERY ONE OF THEM HAS SOME GUY ANNOUNCER. HE STARTS TALKING AFTER YOU SIT DOWN AND QUITS AFTER YOU LEAVE. THE GUYS AT B-J DO A RELAY TYPE TALKING WHERE THE OTHER GUY CAN BREATHE.

CAN ANYONE EXPLAIN HOW THE 10% BUYERS PREMIUM STARTED AND WHY SOMEONE WOULD PAY SUCH A FEE FOR SAY A MILLION DOLLAR CAR?

The samba is a webb site dedicated to VW's--Parts, cars, lit, restoration and technical information and a forum as well, even though there are people who modify cars, there is a bunch of purest there as well. It is a world wide network and you will learn many things about the car and it's history. Try it!

Don

Thank you! We will.

Guest mystarcollectorcar.com
Please read back to the beginning of this thread of my entries you will see my position, but generally lack of information or misinformation is worse than no information at all. I have never seen a Mecum auction, but I did see a RM auction a few years back that was nothing like B/J. What they did was have a respected chap named Alain DeCadenet do interviews with the cars and the owners before the car went on the block. If you all remember Alain was the host of the series Victory By Design on the old speed channel. Alain is a race car driver/team driver and driver/ owner and knows exotics pretty well. What he dosen't know about say a Pontiac-Olds-or VW he asks the owner.

FYI when speed changed hands a few years back some of these knowledgeable people and great shows disappeared with the new network.

Sadly this type of thing has happened to many cable cable/sat. shows such as DIY , HGTV, FUEL, SPEED ect. They have all fallen for it. Someone starts a great thing, then someone or a group of investors buys in or buy's out the the product and screws up the formula for success.

Don

When he (DeCadenet) was with Speedvision at B-J, I always felt that he was a very condescending guy who viewed North American cars as colonial and quaint.

He always lit up when exotic European cars were on the block-you could almost hear his thoughts "now here's a real car".

Personally I didn't like his style.In fact,as a North American,I was offended by him.

When he (DeCadenet) was with Speedvision at B-J, I always felt that he was a very condescending guy who viewed North American cars as colonial and quaint.

He always lit up when exotic European cars were on the block-you could almost hear his thoughts "now here's a real car".

Personally I didn't like his style.In fact,as a North American,I was offended by him.

As I said before, DeCadenet likes exotics, He raced a great many of them and I would be excited too. If your talking about and know the difference between a F/A-18 and a Piper Cub and have flown both you would know where he's coming from. I don't think he's stupid enough to make a comment on something he dosen't know anything about. At least he asks and lets the owner tell about the car. Being specific, what was it in him that made you feel angry as a North American besides his style?

The only time I ever saw real a real blatant condescending person at B/J was the guy who purchased the F-88 Olds. Probably never spanked as a child, but sure could have used one that night. The guy he was bidding against was close.

FYI, I don't think Alain considers GT40 colonial or quaint.

Don

Edited by helfen (see edit history)

Guest mystarcollectorcar.com
As I said before, DeCadenet likes exotics, He raced a great many of them and I would be excited too. If your talking about and know the difference between a F/A-18 and a Piper Cub and have flown both you would know where he's coming from. I don't think he's stupid enough to make a comment on something he dosen't know anything about. At least he asks and lets the owner tell about the car. Being specific, what was it in him that made you feel angry as a North American besides his style?

The only time I ever saw real a real blatant condescending person at B/J was the guy who purchased the F-88 Olds. Probably never spanked as a child, but sure could have used one that night. The guy he was bidding against was close.

FYI, I don't think Alain considers GT40 colonial or quaint.

Don

He'd look at something like a GTO Judge and say something like "Are those stripes original?" Then, when told that they were he'd add "I suppose if that's to your taste then this is an accurate depiction of that model-I must admit I don't know much about them other than they have a big lump under the hood".

That's not comparing a Piper Cub to an F-18 -that just patronizing .

He'd look at something like a GTO Judge and say something like "Are those stripes original?" Then, when told that they were he'd add "I suppose if that's to your taste then this is an accurate depiction of that model-I must admit I don't know much about them other than they have a big lump under the hood".

That's not comparing a Piper Cub to an F-18 -that just patronizing .

At least Alain asked are those stripes original? When old Mike gets up there and says this 59 Pontiac Bonneville's got a custom interior with custom metal woven into the carpet, when all along the interior was bone stock. THAT is what I'm talking about.

Even though I know Pontiac's quite well, when the Judge first came out I thought that Pontiac's Product planning and marketing had it wrong, however because Pontiac was on the leading edge at the time everyone especially Chrysler jumped in on it too. Chrysler went one step further and as a adjunct to all the Pop Art added all those ridiculous paint colors. I thought Carousel Red for the Judge was bad enough, but the pinks, purple and the G-d awful green that Chrysler used was way over the top for me. Everyone out there chasing each others tail. I might have said the same thing Alain said had I not grown up here in So.Cal. and got used to the hippies plastering all those wild colored pop art flowers on their vans TWO years before Pontiac started. Actually the stripe on the Judge wasn't bad in concept, but it should have been painted on. Nothing cheapens a car up faster than fake vinyl -- stripes or signs or fake woodgrain. Remember the cheap competition stripes, God only knows how many of those I put on for Product Planning to look at............ and then deal with them later when they would lift and start to peal for another department called Campaigns & Recalls.

Don

Edited by helfen (see edit history)

• 9 years later...