Sign in to follow this  
tbirdman

Announcers at Barrett Jackson-drive me crazy

The true hobbyist knows what BJ represents in regards to prices, vehicle knowledge, tribute / resto-rod verses original, etc. Unfortunately no matter how much we complain about BJ, many outside the hobby (and a few barely in the hobby) will always judge the state of the hobby from BJ, plus a few other auctions, including the misinformed expert announcers. These are the same viewers / hobbyist that love the "chop, cut, rebuild type shows.

Ain't it amazing. So many despise it, but it seems so many are watching. I suspect it's like the old saying, "there is no such thing as bad PR". If it gets people excited about old cars- just accept it for what it's worth. This hobby is a huge tent.

I only got "excited" when I hit the last hagerty bid car, a strange ex-nascar car with a '70 Chevelle suit and a 502 BB chevy. I guessed 48K, and by golly it went for 48k! Unfortunately, at least 20 other viewers bid the same amount before I did. Might be some measure of the audience.

I am sure I'll hear folks debating it at Charlotte thursday.

Ain't it amazing. So many despise it, but it seems so many are watching. I suspect it's like the old saying, "there is no such thing as bad PR". If it gets people excited about old cars- just accept it for what it's worth. This hobby is a huge tent.

I only got "excited" when I hit the last hagerty bid car, a strange ex-nascar car with a '70 Chevelle suit and a 502 BB chevy. I guessed 48K, and by golly it went for 48k! Unfortunately, at least 20 other viewers bid the same amount before I did. Might be some measure of the audience.

I am sure I'll hear folks debating it at Charlotte thursday.

I 'm not watching... been there, done that, moved-on.

Maybe I'm a snob... frankly, I find even Dennis Gage annoying.... I'd much rather listen to Leno talk about cars...

I'm not a sports guy, so I have to ask: are sportscasters just as irritating and vapid as some of us find the faux gearheads at B-J ?

I'm not a sports guy, so I have to ask: are sportscasters just as irritating and vapid as some of us find the faux gearheads at B-J ?

Very much so...

There are very few who I stop to listen to. The thing about the sports media and the reporters is all the interviews between themselves :rolleyes: As if they are the news and not the athletes they are talking about.

The 24 hr news cycle is the true bane of society.

Maybe I'm a snob... frankly, I find even Dennis Gage annoying.... I'd much rather listen to Leno talk about cars...

Hey Frank, I hate to say that I am beginning to wonder about Dennis Gage too. He is all breathless about street rods and rat rods now. But I do like his visits to Lenos place. Todd

Jim Nantz and his celebrity almost equals the pain of a Barbara Walters interview. This sports bobble-head cannot shut his pie-hole when the sport should speak for itself, then he goes into high gear when shilling the soon to cancelled 'must see' prime time shows on CBS. 'America's most watched network' warbles Jim....

Hey Frank, I hate to say that I am beginning to wonder about Dennis Gage too. He is all breathless about street rods and rat rods now. But I do like his visits to Lenos place. Todd

Todd, when I saw the build up of that 67 Toronado turned into a 66 Toro-vette that really got me going. Especially the unveiling of it to GM big wigs. Everything that made that car so special when it was new and gave it Motor Trends car of the year was gone and no one said anything. Also his beautiful 55 Buick with a big block Chevy, he could of at least put a 455 Buick in it to make it ALL Buick.

Don

Yeah, you are right, I know... despite my always speaking out on authenticity I sort of looked the other way on those because they were so well done and Leno is such a good car guy. Visually they looked almost original. You are probably surprised I would forgive such a thing but in his case it did not bother me much for some reason. I guess I used up all my outrage on Barrett-Jackson and POCI, huh? Todd C

"My Classic Car" is a commercial with just about enuf old cars to interest you wrapped in a thinly disguised commercial. Actual content that is not a commercial about something in minimal. Some good stuff, but to many commercials, did I say that there were to many commercials? See how annoying that is? :)

Now without commercials...

"My Classic Car" is about old cars to interest you in some good stuff to see. :)

Now I do like "Car Crazy" and they don't have commercials for Meguires during it, but spend a lot of time presenting good content. Shows some good thinking there. Sponsoorship is more than enuf. Barry really does seem like a genuinely good man.

"My Classic Car" is a commercial with just about enuf old cars to interest you wrapped in a thinly disguised commercial.

Now I do like "Car Crazy" and they don't have commercials for Meguires during it, but spend a lot of time presenting good content. Barry really does seem like a genuinely good man.

Hi Amphicar, just as I only watch Barrett Jackson when I can fast forward I treat My Classic Car the same way--and I can watch an episode in 10-15 minutes. As such I do not mind the inclusion of the commercial guest, I suppose I know what I am in for and can watch according to my interest.

I stopped watching Car Crazy a while back as it has too much lowrider and street rod activity for me, but I also think Barry seems like a good guy (and obviously much more open minded than I am). I have an episode taped right now to give them another try.

Hi Amphicar, just as I only watch Barrett Jackson when I can fast forward I treat My Classic Car the same way--and I can watch an episode in 10-15 minutes. As such I do not mind the inclusion of the commercial guest, I suppose I know what I am in for and can watch according to my interest.

I stopped watching Car Crazy a while back as it has too much lowrider and street rod activity for me, but I also think Barry seems like a good guy (and obviously much more open minded than I am). I have an episode taped right now to give them another try.

Wow Todd, that bit you said about Car Crazy is how I'm feeling about POCI and Vintage Volkswagen Club of America these last few years. What ever happended to assist in restoration, preservation, history or from the other club, vintage or near vintage vehicles. What do customs or low riders have to do with their mission statements??.......Nothing. BTY near vintage to me means a guy bought a car with a non matching #'s engine, but it is of the same year/size hp as the original. Not a full blown custom car!

I think they either abide by the mission or change the mission statement because obviously they haven't looked in the dictionary to what those words mean.

Don

Hi Don, you and I are certainly together on that, and unfortunately these TV shows prove every week that more people see that cutting and modifying to prove your "creativity" is what people now think is really fun. Juvenile and destructive in my opinion.

Restoration and preservation, those are the buzzwords and why AACA is now a refuge for me. I agree with your point about matching numbers and such extremes, my own car is not of matching numbers (replacement block) but that is a whole different deal than modifying everything. BTW, see my car at my new post on the "Projects" thread.

Judging from the magazine and website there is little hope to reverse this trend in POCI and that distresses me as you know. Hope you are well otherwise, Todd C

Todd, what page is your project car? or thread in aaca?

Don

Guest mystarcollectorcar.com
"My Classic Car" is a commercial with just about enuf old cars to interest you wrapped in a thinly disguised commercial. Actual content that is not a commercial about something in minimal. Some good stuff, but to many commercials, did I say that there were to many commercials? See how annoying that is? :)

Now without commercials...

"My Classic Car" is about old cars to interest you in some good stuff to see. :)

Now I do like "Car Crazy" and they don't have commercials for Meguires during it, but spend a lot of time presenting good content. Shows some good thinking there. Sponsoorship is more than enuf. Barry really does seem like a genuinely good man.

I don't think so...Meguiar is one of the slickest guys on TV.He's a world class name dropper and he must have a clause in his contract that pays him by the number of times he uses the word "passion".

I can't get through his show-he's just that bad.

With about 120 or more channels to watch, I still believe that 80% of the time the best thing on television is the off knob, and as for auctions, I positively hate them, regardless of what they're selling. If I want to see cars (and I do) I'll travel a few hundred miles to a nice show or museum where I can talk to knowledgeable people and wander around taking photographs of what I think are nice cars and not have to listen to the opinion of some undereducated TV analyst. While I'm taking pictures I'm also taking notes. If you have a prewar car on display and it is only identified by the year and make I'm probably going to ask you what the model number or series name is. I firmly believe that windshield placards should include the model number or series name of the car. Then when I get home and archive the photos I'll know exactly what I have pictures of. I will add the best way to learn about cars is to go to a show featuring a specific make of car. In other words to learn some Cadillac details go to a Cadillac show; to learn Ford details go to a Ford show. People who concentrate on one specific make of car seem to have more knowledge of that particular make of automobile. Also people who restored their cars seem more knowledgeable than those who buy cars that someone else restored. Of course, everything I've said here has exceptions.

We have been slowly restoring a 1949 Volkswagen and it is particularly difficult finding info and parts amidst all the "update" and "performance" static.

Todd, what page is your project car? or thread in aaca?

Don

Hi Don, it is in here in the Old Car Restoration Projects Forum category under Current Projects, would love for you to take a look, Todd C

To get this thread back on track, does anybody know if the announcers get paid a promotional fee to push certain people's cars? The reason I ask is that a number of times when an early T-Bird came up for bidding they would say, "Is this an Andy Molitor (not his real name) restoration?" It was almost like the check out person asking, "Do you want fries with your order?" I find this annoying because there are plenty of restorers doing quality work besides this individual. It would be nice to see if these people are just mentioning Andy because that is the only name they know or if they are paid shills. :confused:

Hi Don, it is in here in the Old Car Restoration Projects Forum category under Current Projects, would love for you to take a look, Todd C

Todd, very nice 57 and a T/A? The 57 would be Kenya Ivory over Limefire green??

Don

To get this thread back on track, does anybody know if the announcers get paid a promotional fee to push certain people's cars? The reason I ask is that a number of times when an early T-Bird came up for bidding they would say, "Is this an Andy Molitor (not his real name) restoration?" It was almost like the check out person asking, "Do you want fries with your order?" I find this annoying because there are plenty of restorers doing quality work besides this individual. It would be nice to see if these people are just mentioning Andy because that is the only name they know or if they are paid shills. :confused:

They will also hold and milk certain peoples cars on the block, while others fly by when they could have had other bids.

Don

To Tbirdman, I think they also do this with Mopar musclecar documentation from Mr Gary Grover (not HIS real name). Probably reading it from their copy of the auction listing. Very good question though, makes you wonder...

To Don, thanks, it is Limefire Green and (light) Seacrest Green, inside and out. The TA is a clean original 1979 I enjoy very much.

We have been slowly restoring a 1949 Volkswagen and it is particularly difficult finding info and parts amidst all the "update" and "performance" static.

Have you tried the samba???

Don

I don't waste my time on these TV auction shows. The idiots that bid on the crap that goes across the block deserve to get the shorts put on them. Clones and tributes? Give me a F'ing break!

I don't think so...Meguiar is one of the slickest guys on TV.He's a world class name dropper and he must have a clause in his contract that pays him by the number of times he uses the word "passion".

I can't get through his show-he's just that bad.

Hey mystar, I just watched my taped episode of Car Crazy (from the SEMA show) and was reminded why I stopped watching. You are right, with the fawning over street rods and the "passion" I could hardly stand it.

Say, if you want to follow an auction that is more grounded with less fluff and more meat, tune into the Mecum Auction in Kansas City on HD Theatre. It is on right now!