Audio/video preservation - A PLEA FOR HELP!

Some of you may have read various threads which I have placed concerning various Pontiac audio/video materials; the latest being a thread regarding digitizing Pontiac filmstrips.

Well, the equipment to digitize filmstrips and records is now within the budget of a small business; and I have obtained the equipment.

We have started to digitize these filmstrips to preserve them.

While the older (1929~1955) black and white strips are in perfect condition; THE NEWER COLOR FILMSTRIPS ARE DETERIORATING (color change). This fact has increased the emphasis being placed on the project; AND the emphasis I am placing on looking for filmstrips I do not have.

It isn't like these have been stored in the attic. Since I have had them, they have been stored in a climatically controlled environment.

So, what I am asking, is for help to locate filmstrips that I do not have. I would purchase, or borrow, or whatever to attempt to complete the library. Or, if anyone else is comptemplating doing a parallel project, I would highly suggest DO IT NOW, before it is too late!

I have assigned two employees to the project part time (it is so boring, if I made it full time, they would probably quit!).

Below is a link to the index of filmstrips that I have. I would like to acquire ANY that are not listed, or any which are listed as WANTED on the list.

http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/Pontiacfilmstrips.htm

And below is one of the frames just to whet your interest. This is a factory photo of a 1958 tripower engine:

http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/Pon...58tripower.jpg

Please help if you can.

Will start on the other audio/video conversion when we finish the filmstrips.

Please call (573) 392-7378 (9-4 Mon-Wed central time) if you can help.

And, if not clear from the above, I will be doing only Pontiac and Oakland if any Oakland exists. If you have other makes, TAKE STEPS TO PRESERVE THEM NOW!

Jon.

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Edited by carbking (see edit history)

I have several Plymouth film strip sets from the early fifties that I want to digitize one day. I haven't been impressed with the scanners I've seen for home use. How long does it take to scan, for instance, a 40-frame film strip on the equipment you have? Can you also add audio to the film strip from the accompanying phonograph record? Thanks for your thoughts.

Harold

Edited by Harold (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

There has been some mild interest in this project. Because of this interest, I have added other indices of other forms of Pontiac audio / video material to my website. If anyone can add to the information placed here, PLEASE do so.

And still looking for a good way to convert the Super 8 film cartridges with the optical soundtracks.

Here is a link to the Pontiac audio/video index website:

THE CARBURETOR SHOP / Pontiac audio video index

Jon.

• 1 year later...
Guest Sir Redneck

Hi Jon, I read you're selling your collection. How far is your digitalization project of the filmstrips and records? Does it mean you're quitting it?

Guest Sir Redneck

When do you think you're having them ready (as bluray for example)?

While buying some Buick filmstrips, I got some included Pontiac filmstrips (see pictures). I think you have most of them.

20120205_150554.jpg

20120205_150654.jpg

20120205_150940.jpg

20120205_151022.jpg

20120205_151120.jpg

Yes, I do have all of the ones you listed.

As far as getting them ready to sell, it will be a while. My intent when digitizing these was preservation. I still am not sure how copyright would work on offering copies for sale, so have no immediate timetable.

Jon.

• 3 years later...

Time to rejuvenate this thread.

Have a bit more information now; and have loaded a sample "movie" on my website so those of you not familiar with the filmstrip / record training can see what it is about. Make sure your sound is turned on:

http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/55-1.wmv

Still looking for more of the Pontiac stuff. Will swap carburetors, carburetor parts, or "pictures of dead presidents in green frames".

Also have a bunch of Chevrolet, and a few Oldsmobile to trade. No other makes at this time.

Edited by carbking (see edit history)