American Pickers on History Channel

Just wanted to pass along a show on the History channel which I just recently discovered.Forgive me please if anyone has touched on it previously.Any way,the show is called the American Pickers.The premise is the two hosts;Mike Wolfe and Frank Fritz scour the country looking for hidden treasures.Pretty much any thing they can buy and turn some profit on they will buy.Sometimes they have a place they know they are going to and sometimes they just"Freestyle" where they drive the country side,and if they see a place which looks promising they will stop in and see what they can find.THe Americana that they find ,as well as the characters they meet make for a very interesting show.As much as it seems most forum participants are interested in saving pieces of the countries' past ,thought I would pass it on to those who have not yet viewed it.CHECK IT OUT! The link to the History Channel website for this show is below.American Pickers — History.com TV Episodes, Schedule, & Video enjoy!

Yep, been watching it from the first episode. It is my wife and I's favorite show.

Thats our dream job. Obviously some of it has to be staged for TV but for the most part, its real people with real junk collections. Mike is really sharp and has a good eye.

These fellows were set up at Hershey in the Red Field 2008 right across from our spaces. We had to laugh, they described every item they had for sale as coming from a barn in Nebraska. As I remember they left early, having sold near everything they brought. Fun show.

The whole show they talked about the 39 Plymouth that isn't a 39 it is a 40 Plymouth. too much B. S. for me.

Jay

Consider its a reality type show. The reality is the owner told them it was a 39. They filmed the show then and probably found out later doing paperwork it was a 40 as you say. I know I sure didn't know the difference and they figured 99.9% of the audience wouldn't know either when it was aired.

Many times I have seen buyers and sellers not knowing what year car they had or were looking at. So this was a good dose of reality just like the price.

When they show the prices of the value or what they think they can sell an item for sometimes I scratch my head but most of that stuff I know little about. I thought, if they say they can make money on that car after paying $5500 I will be let down.......but they didn't. They tell when they make a bad buy and thats one reason I really like the show. Reality is they are going to make bad buys no matter how good they are.

I know there is more to their job than what is shown in the show, but they must work really hard and a lot of hours to pay the bills. They spend what looks like 3-4 hours somewhere and walk out happy that they bought 1 item and will make $50 on it?

I can't figure out how they pay for hotels at night, much less put gas in that giant Mercedes van (10mpg?)

In the last episode they bought a bunch of pottery for $1000 and flipped it the next day for I think $1300? Sure, it's a quick $300, but they sure didn't seem to try to get much.

I think they could be better business men.

I too thought he was crazy for going after that Plymouth, but I do love Mike's VW!

About 5 years ago when I was visiting a friend in NY state, Mike Wolfe (the tall guy on the show) stopped by after picking up a very rare 1920's Harley motorcycle in beautiful original condition. He didn't have the Mercedes van at the time, and he was by himself... but that was his gig, picking cool rare stuff! Mike was already working on the concept for this show at the time. I believe he was doing the editing himself too, and was calling it Pickin' America. The videos were amaturish, but the concept was there. He was shopping it around to see if it could get picked up... apparently he was successful! Anyway, I'm sure the show is mostly real and true, the way you see it on TV. Granted, they probably do have to make some pre-camera arrangements with the property owners for legal reasons, so the initial introductions we see on TV are probably staged, but the rest is in all likelihood real.