Sign in to follow this  
msmazcol

Survivor Values?

"It's original only once" is not by any stretch a new thing. Maybe more appealing now (FINALLY!) but I have been hearing that since I was a kid (ok, I'm still a kid at heart but that isn't wat I mean!)

I feel a survivor should have a 10-30+% premium on it's value over a restored car. If I could I would specialize in original or low mileage survivor cars.

:) I agree on the value statement 100%. And I agree with your feeling towards original. I have a house full of old furniture, wood, that is unrestored, and we're using it.

I never forgot the VW mechanic at a friend’s shop back in 1984 when I purchased my 1 owner, all original except for exterior paint, 1963 Karmann Ghia. He stated, 'Now you have the perfect car to stuff a big motor into, and turn it into a pro-street machine'. I just stood there dumb founded over his total lack of understanding of what I had.

When the Karmann turned 25 I took it to AACA meets. I was always no judge until the magic age of 35 was reached, and now we're HPOF, and appreciated.<O:p</O:p

HPOF and DPC are really super classes. I brought out a 1965 Vespa to HPOF a few years ago, and the Vespa collectors went nuts! They loved it! <O:p</O:p

I show the '77 AMC Hornet, and a '84 VW Rabbit in DPC. People like seeing them both. Next year I plan on bringing a 1985 VW Jetta to DPC. It has 300,000 plus miles, and I've had it since September 1989 when it had 44,000 miles. Once again, I'm the 2nd. owner. She does need a repaint. The drive train is original except for a clutch, head gasket, and a few muffler/tailpipes.

Most of my collection has me as the 2nd. owner. I very fortunate.<O:p</O:p

<O:p</O:p

For me, I love unrestored/original cars. Sometime in the last 10 years this changed for me, as I used to love dusting my 1939 Packard Coupe, now despise it. Its the prettiest car I own and its the only one I don't use. Don't step on the running board!

I recently acquired an unrestored 1934 Packard Coupe with 33,000 miles. I think if this car was parked next a row of restored, shiny and stately Packards, this car would draw the crowd. I feel unrestored cars are the new "in" cars to have. Of course, this is my thoughts, because everyone that sees the car says I should restore it!

As for value, I believe this car is worth more than a pretty one.

post-37975-143138196061_thumb.jpg

post-37975-143138196064_thumb.jpg

post-37975-143138196067_thumb.jpg

post-37975-143138196071_thumb.jpg

post-37975-143138196075_thumb.jpg

post-37975-143138196078_thumb.jpg

post-37975-143138196083_thumb.jpg

post-37975-143138196087_thumb.jpg

post-37975-14313819609_thumb.jpg

post-37975-143138196093_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tom Laferriere
Added last line (see edit history)

Tom,

That '34 is too nice to restore.

Is that a custom body? It has the appearance of a fixed top fitted to a convertible-coupe body...

When I was about 10 years old, a neighbor who collected Packards treated me to a ride in his very nice, original '34 Packard 12 "opera coupe"( it had a back seat and quarter windows ).... I wish I had been a few years older, and could have better appreciated the car !

That '34 Coupe is a rare car. Most of them became convertibles years ago.

I believe a true survivor car is definitely worth more than a restored show poodle. A lot of people seem to get a bit irate when I say that. I attended a local car show last weekend and there was a 23 Cadillac Victoria coupe there in original paint/ interior/ power train and even a very bald Silvertown spare tire on the trunk. It had more than a few dings in it that were probably put there before I was born('55). It was gorgeous!! My friend was displaying his show winning 1919 Doge Brothers Touring car and his way over restored 37 Plymouth coupe that both drew a lot of praise and spectators. But the true old car guys were just stopped in their tracks, smiling at the Cadillac. Both him and I were very envious and happy to see a true survivor on display amongst the trailer queens. Very few seem to know how to UN-restore cars do they?

Eeluddy, I'm getting on this post very late, but found your thread very interesting.

I too like the unrestored originals, and once you get a vehicle all restored you often become afraid to drive it. Often when you've put the money into a restoration, you trailer them to keep them nice and to protect your investment. We happen to drive ours, but if the show is a long distance from home, it goes on the trailer.

One thing that I find interesting in the restoration process of a vehicle are the things that you'll find when you're doing the restoration. Old paperwork, money, etc. You never know what you find until you pull one apart. That in itself is interesting trying to get the pieces of the puzzle.

One of our restoration projects was a 1942 Ford fire engine. I'll be the first to tell you that the guys from the fire department where that truck came from use to thumb their noses at it. Now that it's done, they love it. One point that we found during the restoration?? Olive drab floorboards!! Even the boys at the Early Ford V8 club are left scratching their heads too.

This past June we got our ladder truck HPOF certified, and my father will be the first to tell you that we have more fun with a ladder truck that we paid $3,500 for than we do with a car that we had torn apart three years and dumped $20,000 into it.

The one beauty of AACA with Class Judging, DPC, HPOF and the 25 year rule?? It means that there's a place for everyone. That's what makes AACA a good organization. We judge them fairly, but try to avoid over judging.