Sign in to follow this  
ZondaC12

Wow. Amazed that the "Dovaz Collection" was saved.

Well I did do a quick search and it looks like I was beaten to the punch. By like 2 years!!!! :( Haha oh well.

But, my mom bought me The Cobra In The Barn, for Christmas (I was shocked at this too, couldnt belive she found that on her own!) and I thumbed through it and almost immediately found in the back, "Sleeping Beauties" and the ones that stung the worst were the '37 and '29 Cords. I kept looking at that '29 in amazement and sadness. I was bored tonight and looking at it again, re-reading the passage. Then I decided to so some e-research and wouldnt you know it, this turned up. Michel Dovaz's Sleeping Beauties -- The new book "The Fate of the Sleeping Beauties" It was like that feeling you get watching an intense action movie when the bad guys get it GOOD in the end. I was so happy to see that they are no longer rotting away.

Of course I now need to get the book on that site, I'd like the full story. Because...being who I am I immediately jumped to the conclusion that the guy was a worthless you-know-what that would never sell them but never do anything with them. Especially since Cotter wrote "and theyll never be sold" in the passage in Cobra In The Barn. I literally said to myself earlier tonight "ya know I'd ust hook up with those Somali pirates, get a rouge helicopter and airlift that '29 outta there" hahaha. Yeah steal the thing in the name of "automotive justice" or something. It just made me that angry. And I think up crazy impossible things when I'm angry.

Anyway, how cool is that? So many stories of ones that rot, I can sleep a lot easier tonight knowing those won't. :D

I have a similar story but with a different ending. I have a friend who's father has acres full of rotting vehicles. Not as old as those Cords, but still enough to bother many. I saw one I'd had my eye on for twenty years now and it just sits there rotting. I inquire about 'my Bird' every time I visit (once a year). It's a 57 T-Bird and there's a 59 Caddy next to her. It really annoys me, but what can we do? Call the Antique Car Club Police and seize these as evidence of a crime? Wouldn't that be nice? I've always wanted to be the National Building Inspector. I get to enter any building standing, even those partially collapsed, to inspect to see if there are any vehicles in there that need help in getting out. Just a dream as I travel down the road looking at all those abandoned buildings that could house a vehicle. I understand.

Ctskip

You know there are lots of cars for sale right now that you CAN save if you want to. No one has enough money to save them all.

I think with regret of the cars rotting away, that I could have bought for a few hundred dollars 20 or 30 years ago, when they were just second hand cars.

Money won't buy many of them. The owners seem to prefer to watch them sit and rust. One must wonder about the mentality of those who would prefer to watch a car rust away in a field instead of seeing it brought back to life and have some worth and maybe even bring a smile to a few faces along the way.

Ctskip

HAVING the vehicle is what is important to most people, if you own it you can do as you please with it. Nobody should be forced to do anything with their private property.

Nobody should be forced to do anything with their private property.

True...and one of the great things about this nation of ours. Its a darn good thing I'll never be president! :P