convertible top/rr window seperation

Guest amoparguy

Guest amoparguy

I have a 1990 Reatta convertible with less than 24,000 miles. The top and rear window have started to seperate along the bottom edge. Has anyone else had this problem? Have a solution? I don't want to have to buy a new top if I can avoid it! Thanks

Guest mongeonman

I just fixed mine last week,the top was seperated all around the window,i used 3M automotive double sided tape,about 1/4 inche wide and very thin,it did a great job.

Edited by mongeonman (see edit history)

I'm going to take the opposite route.

I recently bought my convertible knowing the sides and bottom of the glass window separated from what was a vinyl top in good condition. I was under the impression that it can be re-glued/re-attached. Went to three upholstery shops. All three said it can be re-glued but wouldn't guarantee how long it would hold. As the top was in good condition and I planned on driving the car weekends (Los Angeles has no seasons and its now 79 degrees, sunny, a slight breeze and clear skies), I went ahead and got a new cloth top with glass window. No regrets.

I don't think mileage has much to do with the lifespan of a top and its components. I would think the fluctuations of temperature (if the window was glued in) is a bigger factor.

Seeing that you're in Michigan and I assume the car is driven during spring and summer, give the 3M a try (it couldn't hurt). Then again, I spent a month in the suburbs of Detroit and the roads have plenty of potholes, so...

Guest steveskyhawk

Nothing lasts forever. Window delamination, wear and tear, fabric deterioriation, shrinkage, discoloration, fading etc, etc. If you live in a nice climate leave the top down and in the garage and take it out when the weather is good and you never need to replace the top.

Guest amoparguy

Thanks for the great ideas, I will be looking for the 3M tape or Rhino Glue. The top is in otherwise very good condition. The car spent the first 15yrs in Florida with my father. Since it's been in Michigan, it only comes out in the summer. I don't intend for it to ever be on salted roads!

I bought my 90 vert with a loose rear window and hopes of "gluing" it back in. But when I more closely evaluated what I had, I realized the top material had shrunk too much to make re-gluing realistic. It needs a new top. And the top on it now is not the original.

I'm going to take the opposite route.

I recently bought my convertible knowing the sides and bottom of the glass window separated from what was a vinyl top in good condition. I was under the impression that it can be re-glued/re-attached. Went to three upholstery shops. All three said it can be re-glued but wouldn't guarantee how long it would hold. As the top was in good condition and I planned on driving the car weekends (Los Angeles has no seasons and its now 79 degrees, sunny, a slight breeze and clear skies), I went ahead and got a new cloth top with glass window. No regrets.

I don't think mileage has much to do with the lifespan of a top and its components. I would think the fluctuations of temperature (if the window was glued in) is a bigger factor.

Seeing that you're in Michigan and I assume the car is driven during spring and summer, give the 3M a try (it couldn't hurt). Then again, I spent a month in the suburbs of Detroit and the roads have plenty of potholes, so...

Where did you order your CLOTH top from? Thanks Stan;

Guest steveskyhawk

I got a cloth top for my 91 convertible, and a white vinyl top for my Select Sixty from Mike at buickreattaparts.com. It takes awile but worth the wait.

Guest steveskyhawk

The original top on both my convertibles were vinyl. Haven't taken the top out of the box for my select 60 yet but I love the fit of the cloth top on my 91. I got both of them from Mike a buickreattaparts.com. The bonus you get with a top from mike is that it is a modified cut. It is cut a little longer over the side windows and trailing edge so it doesn't have that too small look most of them have. The rear window is double stitched just because it looks better.

post-53748-143138193993_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...
Guest mounthopewalt

I tried two way tape, silicone and goop, with no luck, especially in the middle section. A few weeks ago I purchased a tube of 3M Marine Polyurethane. It comes in white or black, and takes one week to dry. From the results I'm seeing, the bond is solid, and I'm highly recommending it. I used masking tape to keep a thin bead. If you have a tan top, you can cover the 3M with an almond silicone.